Posted to rec.woodworking

Default advice wanted; (I have more money than brains!)

Hey All,
I have an opportunity to buy a Rockwell RC-51 (20 inch planer, 230
volt, single phase). I already have a Delta 15 inch planer that works
and is in my shop in the basement. There is a 20 inch bandsaw in my
garage along with several hundred bdft of rough lumber waiting to be
sliced and diced. (Well, "sliced", dicing will be done on the table
saw in the basement.) The garage could become "Wood Shop II " and be
my lumber making center
This is one of those situations where I don't need it but I really
want it and I know I'm going to regret either decision I make. If I
let it go I'll say "I wish I had it for these boards" and if I buy it
I'll say "I could have used that money for a downpayment on a truck"
A friend who works in the woodworking tool business suggested I buy
it, use it, and try to sell it for the same as I bought it. He also
added that this laner would be less prone to make defective boards if
the bottom face was not perfectly surfaced planed. (I only have an 8
inch jointer).
Another woodworking friend said "Get it!"
All comments are welcome, serious or sarcastic.

Marc (Wife not questioned about this yet)

Posted to rec.woodworking

marc rosen wrote:
[...]

I would vote for getting and using it in your milling substation if you
are milling all those bf. Then, if your utilization lessens, sell it.
If you have the room and can spare the cash just keep it for future milling.

Dave - Parkville
Posted to rec.woodworking

"marc rosen" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey All,
I have an opportunity to buy a Rockwell RC-51 (20 inch planer, 230
volt, single phase). [...]

Wide planers are great, but can you get enough power from a single phase
moter to properly run a 20" planer?

Tim w

Posted to rec.woodworking

Wide planers are great, but can you get enough power from a single phase
moter to properly run a 20" planer?

Tim w

Hey Tim,
Delta listed this same planer in their mid-80's catalog with a 5 hp
230 v. motor. (The three phase machine was a 7hp). The previous
owner had no problem making this work in his shop. I'm waiting for a
good time to ask my wife as she does share some woodworking time with
me. (Especially when she wants me to make gifts for her family)
Also to Dave; Thanks for your encouragement- it will help me say yes.

Marc

Posted to rec.woodworking

"marc rosen" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe I am missing something here. You mention that maybe you would be less
prone to make defective boards if the bottom face was perfectly surfaced. I
cannot see how a 20 in planer would be more prone to create a flat bottomed
board. Does this planer also act as a jointer?

IMHO the extra 5 " will only come in handy when surfacing glued up panels
wider than 15" but not over 20".
Rough cut boards 12" and wider tend to be warped/cupped enough that you
should rip them on the BS to start with otherwise you often end up with a
board that is too thin.

If you want it, buy it. You probably will not benefit from it and IMHO it
would be a PIA to haul it home and use if for a little while, then find
another buyer and get rid of it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 3, 7:47 am, marc rosen wrote:
[...]

It's not all that uncommon to have two planers. One you can use to
hog off material, and save the other for final passes with nice sharp
blades. We do that at work b/c we use loads of reclaimed wood, and
our denailers sometimes miss one.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Does it have serrated and segmented pinch rollers?
If so.....run, don't walk-------- to buy it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

BINGO! That's why it will give better work on crowned material.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 3, 12:04 pm, "George" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Plus the added advantage of being able to plane two or more boards of
different thicknesses at the same time. (Within reason)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 04:47:42 -0700, marc rosen
wrote:

[...]

I can't speak for you, but I'd use my current surface planer until it
no longer works before buying another. You can put your money in a
5% money market or CD for the truck to get a lower monthly vehicle
payment.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 13:49:02 GMT, "Tim W"
wrote:

Wide planers are great, but can you get enough power from a single phase
moter to properly run a 20" planer?

Wide planers are great if you can find wide wood. G

In my experience, glue ups are rarely "planer bait" due to grain
reversals. This is a reason for the popularity of wide sanders.

Tear out = bad...

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

news
wrote:

Wide planers are great, but can you get enough power from a single phase
moter to properly run a 20" planer?

Wide planers are great if you can find wide wood. G

In my experience, glue ups are rarely "planer bait" due to grain
reversals. This is a reason for the popularity of wide sanders.

Tear out = bad...

Wide planers are great even without wide wood. You have more knife to dull
before sharpening, and you can feed at a greater angle on narrow
squirrelly-grained boards to reduce tearout.

They also have good holds and tables, unlike wimpy hobbyist-grade belt
sanders.

NB Don't plane or sand a glue-up for 24 hours or you may find yourself with
a valley where the glueline runs when you finish it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 3, 9:03 am, "Leon" wrote:
"marc rosen" wrote in message

[...]

My solution: sell the 15" planer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
oups.com...

My solution: sell the 15" planer.

Yeah and there is that too. ;~) But still you have to move two planers
and sell one. I'd say a great find if you did not have one to start with.