Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Uses of a pin vise

I'm sorry if this is a silly question, but I've noticed that there is a
nifty gadget out there called a pin vise, that will let me grab any bit, or
other drill item, and turn them by hand.

I'm going to get one for my counter sink bit, because I want to sculpt out
the bevel for wood screws by hand, but I was wondering if there were any
other common use for such things?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 13:58:25 +0000, Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

I'm sorry if this is a silly question, but I've noticed that there is a
nifty gadget out there called a pin vise, that will let me grab any bit, or
other drill item, and turn them by hand.

I'm going to get one for my counter sink bit, because I want to sculpt out
the bevel for wood screws by hand, but I was wondering if there were any
other common use for such things?

The pin vises I've used are too small for anything but the numbered bits
(mostly 50-80) that I use in model building. Maybe a 1/16" shank at most.
You must have found a larger version.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Thomas G. Marshall" . com
wrote in message news:5i1Ui.3197$aB2.372@trndny07...

I'm sorry if this is a silly question, but I've noticed that there is a
nifty gadget out there called a pin vise, that will let me grab any bit,
or other drill item, and turn them by hand.

I'm going to get one for my counter sink bit, because I want to sculpt out
the bevel for wood screws by hand, but I was wondering if there were any
other common use for such things?

TGM:

They make good handles for needle files, needles, small wire brushes you can
make out of the
expoxied ends of fine cable and are useful for some engraving bit
applications as well.
You might want to search under "pin vise applications, "jewelry making" and
"pin vise" or "museum conservation" and the previous phrase for other tips.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:

The pin vises I've used are too small for anything but the numbered bits
(mostly 50-80) that I use in model building. Maybe a 1/16" shank at most.
You must have found a larger version.

I have 2 that have 1/4" chucks. These are single ended, and have a
handle like you'd find on a #2 or #3 Phillips screwdriver. Kind of
cheaply made, but they work fine.

They came from a vendor whose name escapes me, at a model airplane show.

Here's something similar, although I remember mine being a lot cheaper:

http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=130061/496.0
Posted to rec.woodworking

One common use is to put a small drill bit (less than 1/16) in the pin
vise and chuck the vise into a drill press chuck that cannot close up
that small. Not all pin vises are suitable for this use.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Somewhere, I used to have an especially nice one that was double-
ended, and had 4 jaws. Since then, I have a single jaw and a double
jaw one, with pivot plate on one end. The pivot plate, or whatever you
call it (like a Jeweler's screwdrive) is the handiest, as you can get
a straight push on things. I do boat models, electronics, etc., and
drilling/reaming small holes is what I use it for the most. It will
hold a needle, for scribing or punching holes, etc. Very handy tool.
The guy/gal who dies with the most tools wins. I think I picked my
last one up at a good hardware store, though model/hobby shops usually
carry them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

f sourse, there's always THIS one:

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/pages...=0&tertiary=-1

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 13:58:25 GMT, "Thomas G. Marshall"
. com wrote:

I'm sorry if this is a silly question, but I've noticed that there is a
nifty gadget out there called a pin vise, that will let me grab any bit, or
other drill item, and turn them by hand.

I'm going to get one for my counter sink bit, because I want to sculpt out
the bevel for wood screws by hand, but I was wondering if there were any
other common use for such things?

How do they make this vise? mac davis Woodturning 13 May 21st 06 04:19 PM
machinist vise Sam the Cat Woodworking 11 August 22nd 05 10:49 PM
vise again.... BillP Metalworking 2 April 10th 05 01:04 AM
Tail vise AAvK Woodworking 7 January 29th 05 11:00 AM
FS-8" kurt vise Gunner Metalworking 0 November 27th 04 12:20 AM