Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

Default How do they make this vise?

There are several versions of this vise on the web and it looks like a good
idea, but I can't quite grasp HOW it works..

http://tinyurl.com/483d9

The basic idea is to put a piece of stock in the jaws and as you turn the
handle, the jaws/plates move toward center, instead of the front jaw moving
towards the rear jaw..

The only thing I can think of is that the main screw is a left hand thread on
one end and a right hand thread on the other??

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Your right Mac, they have right and left hand threads on them.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Hey Mac, think double thread turnbuckles. With guy wires used to support
screen doors and sagging gates. Early 'universal chucks' used them in
faceplate grooves to move & adjust dogs, aka jaws. Also for tightening
mast shrouds on sailboats and to adjust some chainsaw chains, etc, etc.
etc.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lawrence

There are several versions of this vise on the web and it looks like a
good
idea, but I can't quite grasp HOW it works..

http://tinyurl.com/483d9

I'm don't have an answer for you (though others do), but I question their
claim that you can drill consistently on centre just because you can hold
the workpiece under the centre of the bit. I find that the grain often
deflects my annoyingly flexible bits after all my careful positioning. I
wonder if there's a jig like this that comes with a sturdy drill guide, too.

- Owen -

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lyndell Thompson

wrote in message
ups.com...

Your right Mac, they have right and left hand threads on them.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

A while back I thought I would save money and make some handscrew clamps. I
allowed I would purchase some left hand thread rod and some regular thread
rod and weld them together , fashion left and right dowel pins and have
cheap handscrew clamps right? Wrong, the price of left hand allthread thru
McMasterCarr and others is ridiculous. Not one of my better ideas. :-( FWIW
I never did locate a source for a left hand tap. I know they are out there,
I just couln't find them. For Mac, maybe Bill Noble can crank out a couple
of left/right threaded rods for us. It looks to me like a center finder from
Grainger or similiar would be in order to set it up quickly. I bet after it
is set up, every hole would be dead on as long as there was no play in the
threads or washers, regardless of diameter or squareness of stock. Bill
Noble, I am putting my order in early.............if you make a rod for Mac
make one for me also.:-) Leo, thanks for confirming what I beleived I knew
about how this vise works!
Good luck Lyndell

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Brian

I got one of these vices. It works pretty well provided the blanks are
pretty much square once you get it set up. It definitely makes drilling a
bunch of them easier.

Brian

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Owen

Getting to start the drill in the center is not that hard, just get
yourself a centering drill bit, they are not expensive, but you do have
to change bits.
Here's a link, so you can have a look.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...1038&PMCTLG=00

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Fri, 19 May 2006 20:11:08 -0400, "Owen Lawrence" wrote:

There are several versions of this vise on the web and it looks like a
good
idea, but I can't quite grasp HOW it works..

http://tinyurl.com/483d9

I'm don't have an answer for you (though others do), but I question their
claim that you can drill consistently on centre just because you can hold
the workpiece under the centre of the bit. I find that the grain often
deflects my annoyingly flexible bits after all my careful positioning. I
wonder if there's a jig like this that comes with a sturdy drill guide, too.

- Owen -

maybe a light saber.. *g*

I find that I tend to put too much pressure on the drill and not back out to
clear chips often enough... the best 2 ways that I know to make the bit
wander...

It's bad enough having a 7mm bit wander, but I drill 6" long holes with an 1/8"
bit and it's almost impossible to drill those suckers straight... (and drilling
from both ends is worse..

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Sat, 20 May 2006 00:47:14 GMT, "Lyndell Thompson"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

I ordered a couple of left hand dies today, Lyndell... but I don't need them
now, since I have a shopsmith.. lol

I was thinking that there must be an easy way to bring vise jaws toward center
like a lathe or drill press chuck, and realized that I just bought a Morse taper
with threads for my chuck on it..

Since I'm drilling the blanks on the shopsmith in horizonal DP mode, I just put
the taper and chuck in the tailstock and moved the headstock unit down to that
end.. works great!

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Fri, 19 May 2006 19:07:36 -0700, "Brian" wrote:

I got one of these vices. It works pretty well provided the blanks are
pretty much square once you get it set up. It definitely makes drilling a
bunch of them easier.

Brian

That's a major thing I've learned in the couple of months that I've been doing
pens... that the blanks have to be square..
I have a setup or the band saw to trim the blanks, even the "professional"
ones...
I run them through twice and their squared..

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lyndell Thompson

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Sat, 20 May 2006 00:47:14 GMT, "Lyndell Thompson"

wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...

[...]

Sounds like another reason I need to step up to a woodworking chuck. I have
always just used a screw chuck or glue block or a mandrel in the drill
chuck. With some help from Bill Noble I now have a chuck adaptor. OK another
tools gets placed on my wish list. :-)
Lyndell

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

getting a good start with a center drill will help a lot with keeping
the drill straight. it's a bit of a pain to change bits twice for each
hole, but it does help.