Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Black Walnut burl

I just dug up a 5oyo burl from a black walnut tree. I'm told its very
valuable. Does anyone know how much I should ask for it? It's so big
that my teenage son and I can't lift it out of the hole.

diy girl

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 1, 8:44 pm, wrote:
I just dug up a 5oyo burl from a black walnut tree. I'm told its very
valuable. Does anyone know how much I should ask for it? It's so big
that my teenage son and I can't lift it out of the hole.

diy girl

Call your local sawmill and see if they want to buy it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

It might be somewhat valuable but it's worth nothing until you can
find someone to buy it. Most sawyers don't want to deal with singles,
especially harvested from a yard or field, especially if it came from
underground. Too much chance of imbeded metal or rock and not enough
volume to make it worth cutting. I'd check with local turning clubs.
One tip. Cover the exposed raw wood with anchorseal/paint/wax/etc. to
keep it from checking. If it cracks it will be worth significantly
less, if anything. Sorry to have to say that you didn't hit it big. If
you can sell it for turning blanks you might get a couple hundred,
depending on size, quality, and condition. You also might get much
less or nothing at all.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
I just dug up a 5oyo burl from a black walnut tree. I'm told its very
valuable. Does anyone know how much I should ask for it? It's so big
that my teenage son and I can't lift it out of the hole.

What is 5oyo?

Don't know where you are, but I would list it in Craigslist. I saw your
listing I would want to come out to see it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

the fact that you and your teenage son would even attempt to lift it out
of the hole tells me it's not very big. i've got a couple black walnut
stumps here that myself with my forklift can hardly lift and these are
already out of the hole.
ross

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ross Hebeisen" wrote in message
the fact that you and your teenage son would even attempt to lift it out
of the hole tells me it's not very big. i've got a couple black walnut
stumps here that myself with my forklift can hardly lift and these are
already out of the hole.
ross

If just means they aren't huge.
Two people ought to be able to get a burl large enough to be valuable out.