Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default alternate tread stair question

hi,

Alternate tread stairs are for steep applications, such as to a loft. I
was asked to build a set for someone. The tread width is 24", the depth
for the wide half is 10", reducing to 4" for the narrow half. Thickness
spec'd at 1 1/16". Housed in the stringers (1 1/2" thick). Material to
be ash, maple, or birch...

My question is: Due to the depth of the tread, I would need to glue up
narrower boards to make up the 10". As the front of the tread is only
supported on one side, I am concerned that someone stepping on the tread
could snap it off at the glue joint. I have heard "the glue is stronger
than the wood", but it still is a concern to me.

Any opinions or experience with this?

A picture of a similar stair can be seen at
http://www.tradestairs.com/acatalog/...pacesaver.html

mine will have no risers...

thanks,

david