Posted to rec.woodworking
Peter Huebner Peter Huebner is offline

Default alternate tread stair question

In article ,
says...
I have heard "the glue is stronger
than the wood", but it still is a concern to me.

Any opinions or experience with this?

In a situation like a stair tread that's unsupported one side, I'd worry about
shear forces on the glue joint, not so much the strength of the glue per se.
Since you're housing the outside end, twisting forces should be mostly taken
care off.
Insert a bisquit or a spline into the equation and you'll be much better off,
i.m.o. but then risers _would_ make it structurally much stronger again.

Also safer: We have a riser-less steep stair (used to be a ladder for a high
bed) going up to the loft in the barn where my wife has her wool studio and
she's twice nearly put her leg through the gap when carrying bulky things that
obscure her vision.

-Peter