Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Printing Full Size Drawings

On Oct 1, 6:33 pm, "Swingman" wrote:
snip As an example, below is a photo of the legal size printout (on
a rather
cheap HP 5510 printer) of the curved chair rail template that I used to make
a batch of 7 identical chairs, with a ruler laying on top as "the judge". snip

There you go trying to prove me wrong. When printing directly from the
cad program it should come out to scale if you set it properly. If you
take an 11x17 (or other size) and try to scale it down using just a
copier is when we start screwing up the scale.

snip
Now, not only do we need to use the same tape measure throughout a project,
we need to calibrate it, our CAD programs, AND our printers. snip

OK, I have tried but still am unable to calibrate my tape measure.

I totally agree that we need to use the same tape measure, no matter
if it is a small job or taking as built dimensions of a building.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave" wrote:
snip As an example, below is a photo of the legal size printout (on
a rather
cheap HP 5510 printer) of the curved chair rail template that I used to

make
a batch of 7 identical chairs, with a ruler laying on top as "the

judge". snip

There you go trying to prove me wrong.

Nope ... went to pains to NOT do that ... a shame you took it that way.

When printing directly from the
cad program it should come out to scale if you set it properly.

LOL, I would have sworn that was EXACTLY my point ... oh well, never mind,
I'm sure someone will find the information useful at some point in their
woodworking.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 2, 11:19 am, "Swingman" wrote:

There you go trying to prove me wrong.

Nope ... went to pains to NOT do that ... a shame you took it that way.

I didn't take it that way, Sorry if it came out like that.

LOL, I would have sworn that was EXACTLY my point ... oh well, never mind,
I'm sure someone will find the information useful at some point in their
woodworking.

I agree totally but,
I am still trying to figure out how too calibrate my tape measure, LOL

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave" wrote in message

I am still trying to figure out how too calibrate my tape measure, LOL

Use it as the "master" to calibrate _to_ ... G

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave" wrote in message
I am still trying to figure out how too calibrate my tape measure, LOL

Use the calibration tab on the end. Once you get it right, smack it with a
hammer so it stays in place.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 2, 11:19 am, "Swingman" wrote:

There you go trying to prove me wrong.

Nope ... went to pains to NOT do that ... a shame you took it that way.

I didn't take it that way, Sorry if it came out like that.

LOL, I would have sworn that was EXACTLY my point ... oh well, never
mind,
I'm sure someone will find the information useful at some point in their
woodworking.

I agree totally but,
I am still trying to figure out how too calibrate my tape measure, LOL

Dave

I had a class once that taught how to calibrate tape measurements. It took
tension (geometry of the tape between two points - centenary function),
temperature for various expansion rates for different tape materials,
altitude, humidity and a few other things I've forgotten. This was before
the electronic calculator and the slide rule was not accurate enough, so it
took some time to come up with the correction factor. Now you could just
point and shoot by laser instaneously within an accuracy of 1/8" over 300
yards!

In any case all our drawings were to scale from the plotter so you could
scale it as the contractors, engineers and architects often do, but not
recommended.