Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Is there a database of wood prices anywhere?

I have been using this horribly outdated software from Broderbound to
design buildings because I can get a quantity report from it. For
most of the stuff it even has general prices (although most of those
are outdated too, but they can be changed).

Well, I was hoping I could find a price list of all types of wood,
even just a rough estimate so that I can finish writing a plug-in for
3D and CAD software that will spit out quantities and the approximate
price for those quantities. The software from Broderbound just ain't
cutting it anymore.

I only need lumber sizes/prices for now by the way. 2×4s, 2×6s, 2×
8s, 2×10s, and 2×12s et cetera. No trim, pediment, concrete, brick,
flooring, laminate, wallpaper and so forth for now. For those things
I am going to create modules.

So does anyone know of anything along those lines? Lowe's, 84
Lumber, and Don's Lumber are getting REALLY tired of me sitting on
the phone with them asking about all of their plank sizes and wood
types.

Thanks!

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Response from "William Andersen" :

A few months ago, I shopped for wood on line at Home Depot and
Lowe's: you should be able to get prices there that will be good
enough for your purpose.

Interesting. I never thought to look online thinking that they would
not have it online. And none of the places I called (including
Lowe's) mentioned me being able to do it online.

Where exactly did you look?

At Home Depot the best I can find is decking materials and composites
(risers, nosing, treads et cetera), not actual lumber sizes, prices,
or descriptions even.

Lowe's is currently down for maintenance, but I will definitely check
them out tomorrow.

Thanks for your help!

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Posted to rec.woodworking

At Home Depot the best I can find is decking materials and composites
(risers, nosing, treads et cetera), not actual lumber sizes, prices,
or descriptions even.

Home depot does have prices but you will have to go to the store
finder first and select a local store. The online section does not
carry lumber like you are looking for until you select a store. Then
you can find the sizes and prices.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

-Lost wrote:
[...]

You might want to take a look at
http://craftsman-book.com/products/info/nce.htm. Not sure it's what
you're looking for but it sounds like it may already do what you're
trying to do.

Note that the electronic version includes software, not just a copy of
the book.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

-Lost wrote:
[...]

Here's a link to a builder's supply place in Buffalo, NY with on-line
prices:

http://lencobuffalo.com/

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Response from Dave :

At Home Depot the best I can find is decking materials and
composites (risers, nosing, treads et cetera), not actual lumber
sizes, prices, or descriptions even.

Home depot does have prices but you will have to go to the store
finder first and select a local store. The online section does not
carry lumber like you are looking for until you select a store.
Then you can find the sizes and prices.

Ah jeez, I am so dense sometimes. THANK YOU.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Response from "J. Clarke" :

You might want to take a look at
http://craftsman-book.com/products/info/nce.htm. Not sure it's
what you're looking for but it sounds like it may already do what
you're trying to do.

Note that the electronic version includes software, not just a
copy of the book.

Well, that was not EXACTLY what I was looking for, but it sure beats
what I have found so far. I am getting it. Not the book though, just
the download.

THANKS!

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Response from Nova :

Here's a link to a builder's supply place in Buffalo, NY with
on-line prices:

http://lencobuffalo.com/

Very cool! Thank you very much.

Nothing but great information from all of you. Awesome.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 23:38:07 -0500, "-Lost"
wrote:

Well, I was hoping I could find a price list of all types of wood,

Call your local lumber yard and ask them to email or fax a price
sheet. They won't bite you. G

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

Wood prices: Argh, choke Charles Self Woodworking 5 December 2nd 05 09:50 PM
Wood Prices RadioHead Woodworking 7 February 19th 05 11:59 PM
Are woodcrafts wood prices fair? slindars Woodworking 45 December 9th 04 03:41 PM
Best Wood Prices on Long Island! Kevin Morgan Woodworking 2 July 27th 04 05:42 PM
Why wood prices are going up Grandpa Woodworking 136 September 26th 03 01:04 AM