Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tool Mechanic Needed

I posted this query once before and nearly got laughed off the board.
I have my best sense of humor intact and a flame retardant apron...
here goes:

I need a mechanic who will come to my shop to deal with a couple of
problems. My jointer jammed, and I really don't have time to deal
with it. All tool repair facilities in my area require that the tool
be dropped off. It's just a little heavy to do that.

If any of you kind woodworkers know where I can find someone who will
do this in Southern California, please let me know. I'm very near
Long Beach.

Kind regards,
Kathy Wingert
http://www.wingertguitars.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Kathy:

Two places you might want to consider posting your request at:
Shopsmith magazine's forum's site:
http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php
Saw Mill Creek:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/index.php

Both places you need to register to post a message. Post in the Power Tools
sections.

Just be sure to mention (specifically and explicitly, BTW) that you are a
guitar maker / musician seeking a knowledgeable woodworker with woodworking
machines background to assist in your disagreement with your machines. It
is the safety issue of trying to repair something you don't have enough
knowledge about and don't want to proceed blindly when body parts are at
risk. As a Luthier, finger tips are very important.

As from your post, I gather that you have been taken to task previously for
owning and using machines that you don't seem to be able to repair. That is
a big no-no to most woodworkers, as you may have found out. However, the
point is you are a luthier, not a millwright. And please be clear if you
are talking about a hired machine tool consultant / technician or someone to
teach you and your helpers (if any) on the maintenance of the tool that is
now dysfunctional.

When you post, be sure to include maker and model of tool that is not
functional. It does make a difference on the pool of people who may be able
to help. Some huge 80 year old, 3 phase motor monster of a Jointer is not
the same as a craftsman bench top jointer model. The 1st case there are
only a limited number of people who have the knowledge and tools to help
you.

Just my input.

Phil

wrote in message
oups.com...
I posted this query once before and nearly got laughed off the board.
I have my best sense of humor intact and a flame retardant apron...
here goes:

I need a mechanic who will come to my shop to deal with a couple of
problems. My jointer jammed, and I really don't have time to deal
with it. All tool repair facilities in my area require that the tool
be dropped off. It's just a little heavy to do that.

If any of you kind woodworkers know where I can find someone who will
do this in Southern California, please let me know. I'm very near
Long Beach.

Kind regards,
Kathy Wingert
http://www.wingertguitars.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 13:53:32 -0700, wrote:

I posted this query once before and nearly got laughed off the board.
I have my best sense of humor intact and a flame retardant apron...
here goes:

I need a mechanic who will come to my shop to deal with a couple of
problems. My jointer jammed, and I really don't have time to deal
with it. All tool repair facilities in my area require that the tool
be dropped off. It's just a little heavy to do that.

If any of you kind woodworkers know where I can find someone who will
do this in Southern California, please let me know. I'm very near
Long Beach.

Kind regards,
Kathy Wingert
http://www.wingertguitars.com

Most manufacturers have set up service techs that will do house calls
for warranty work. Although most would rather have the tool brought
in to their ASC, when there is a problem on a heavy tool during
warranty which is usually right at initial purchase, they will make
house calls, particularly to make a sale stick. If you get a ist of
the Authorized Service Centers for the brand you have, (usually in
your manual) you may be able to call and find the house call guy and
get him to do a "moonlight" visit.

Beautiful guitars, BTW.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I need a mechanic who will come to my shop to deal with a couple of
problems.

Talk to Jack at Battles Hardware in Whittier.

He has a lot of contacts.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Pat is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
I posted this query once before and nearly got laughed off the board.
I have my best sense of humor intact and a flame retardant apron...
here goes:

I need a mechanic who will come to my shop to deal with a couple of
problems. My jointer jammed, and I really don't have time to deal
with it. All tool repair facilities in my area require that the tool
be dropped off. It's just a little heavy to do that.

If any of you kind woodworkers know where I can find someone who will
do this in Southern California, please let me know. I'm very near
Long Beach.

Kind regards,
Kathy Wingert
http://www.wingertguitars.com

Perhaps you could sell yours and have a new one delivered?

Posted to rec.woodworking

I did find my problem and I am well on my way to fixing it,
unfortunately, it took up an afternoon that I didn't have to give. I
would still appreciate any possible referrals for the inevitable next
time, and will follow up on those already given.

Thanks,

On Sep 24, 1:53 pm, wrote:
I posted this query once before and nearly got laughed off the board.
I have my best sense of humor intact and a flame retardant apron...
here goes:

I need a mechanic who will come to my shop to deal with a couple of
problems. My jointer jammed, and I really don't have time to deal
with it. All tool repair facilities in my area require that the tool
be dropped off. It's just a little heavy to do that.

If any of you kind woodworkers know where I can find someone who will
do this in Southern California, please let me know. I'm very near
Long Beach.

Kind regards,
Kathy Wingerthttp://www.wingertguitars.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Kathy,

Suggest you might want to search around for your local woodworker's
club. I would
have to think that there is one nearby Long Beach. They might
have woodworkers who can do this type of work. It might cost you, but
if your time is more valuable building instruments, than fixing or
aligning joiners, tablesaws, etc. than it would be worth it.

Posting here would only delay that local search, tho I did read where
you got one good reference.

MJ Wallace

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 25, 3:47 am, "sweet sawdust"
wrote:

And the problem was?

Well... I'm embarrassed to say... but we're all naked under those work
clothes anyway. I couldn't see behind the handy dandy magnetic blade
height cheater. The blade and assembly had slipped back just far
enough to jam the whole thing. No harm, no problem, no blood. Just
damage to my schedule and my pride!

Kind regards,
Kathy
http://www.wingertguitars.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote

Just damage to my schedule and my pride!

Judging from the obvious quality/beauty of your work, there should be an
elegant sufficiency of the latter to tide you over the rough spot!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/08/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

If any of you kind woodworkers know where I can find someone who will
do this in Southern California, please let me know. I'm very near
Long Beach.

Kind regards,
Kathy Wingert
http://www.wingertguitars.com

Kathy, if you lived near Detroit, I'd be glad to help. Possibly there is
a woodworking club nearby with a pool of talented folks who could lend a
hand in return for a token of your appreciation printed by the US Treasury.