Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What kind of hinge

When I was in college... long long ago, we had desks that I would like
to (partially) copy.

It was just a seat with a desk top but the hinge was what I remember
best. You would flip the desk top up to stand up and the desktop would
flop down vertically.

Are these hinges single parts or two parts, what are they called and
where should I look for them?

I think this would make a great laptop desk.

Jack

Posted to rec.woodworking

As I remember, the hinges were double-acting, but made in one piece. The
desktop pivoted up/down on a hinge that used a horizontal rod, then pivoted
vertically on a pin (or something like that...). What *I* would do would
be to look for a place that sold the obsolete and surplus equipment and
furniture from colleges and schools. The local university (Univ. of Okla.)
does that, as well as the state, which has a surplus auction site up in
Okla. City near the Capitol. Buy one of the old desks and remove/re-use
the hinge/pivot from it.

(Jack) wrote in :

When I was in college... long long ago, we had desks that I would like
to (partially) copy.

It was just a seat with a desk top but the hinge was what I remember
best. You would flip the desk top up to stand up and the desktop would
flop down vertically.

Are these hinges single parts or two parts, what are they called and
where should I look for them?

I think this would make a great laptop desk.

Jack

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote:
When I was in college... long long ago, we had desks that I would
like
to (partially) copy.

It was just a seat with a desk top but the hinge was what I remember
best. You would flip the desk top up to stand up and the desktop
would
flop down vertically.

Are these hinges single parts or two parts, what are they called and
where should I look for them?

I think this would make a great laptop desk.

Some googling came up with the term "tablet arm" but searches for
hinges or pivots found lots of patents and lots of suppliers of
complete furniture, mostly auditorium seating, with no suppliers of
the hinges as separate components. Most of the patents seem to have
been filed by manufacturers of chairs and seating, so presumably each
manufacturer has their own design that they don't sell as a separate
item, with no independent manufacturers (of course I may be wrong on
this and hope that I am).

While I was googling for that though, I came upon this
http://yfir-gribba.blogspot.com/2007...at-tablet.html
which is totally unrelated other than containing the words "tablet"
and "arm" but so funny I thought it might be worth mentioning.

Jack

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Hinge Help! N Hurst Woodworking 0 October 31st 06 09:37 PM
What hinge should I use? DamnYankee Woodworking 4 April 5th 06 01:55 AM
Is there a hinge like this? dadiOH Woodworking 7 December 13th 04 04:33 PM
What to use as a hinge fo barry martin Home Repair 3 October 17th 04 04:28 PM
hinge Nick Brooks UK diy 9 January 21st 04 02:07 PM