Nick Brooks

Default hinge

Previous question answered very quickly and helpfully so here's another

Where can I buy REALLY SUBSTANTIAL door hinges? I've got 4 seven foot
by two foot heavy doors that are going to be hung as a double hinged
pair so all the weight of two doors will have to be supported from one end.

Also I'd like the doors to fold right back against the wall and I think
I'll need a gated hinge to do that.

like so:

Doors shut

wall doors doors wall

________ _________
________|---------------|_________

Doors opening

wall doors doors wall

/\ /\
________ / \ / \ _________
________|/ \ / \|_________

Doors open - Actually I'd like them to fold backfurther but am limited
by ascii art

wall doors doors wall

\\ //
\\ //
_______\\ //________
________| |_________

thanks again

Nick

Peter Taylor

"Nick Brooks" wrote in message
Previous question answered very quickly and helpfully so here's another

Where can I buy REALLY SUBSTANTIAL door hinges? I've got 4 seven foot
by two foot heavy doors that are going to be hung as a double hinged
pair so all the weight of two doors will have to be supported from one end.

Also I'd like the doors to fold right back against the wall and I think
I'll need a gated hinge to do that.

Look for Parliament hinges. I think 1½ pairs of 102mm on each door would
probably do it OK. I think the screws into the frame will be the weak point,
especially the ones for the top hinge.

Simon Avery

Nick Brooks wrote:

Hello Nick

NB| Where can I buy REALLY SUBSTANTIAL door hinges? I've got 4
NB| seven foot by two foot heavy doors that are going to be hung
NB| as a double hinged pair so all the weight of two doors will
NB| have to be supported from one end.

Agricultural Merchants. (Must get that on a macro)

If that's too ugly, wrought ironwork from your local ironmonger is the
best bet. Made to order if you're particularly fussy.

Forget the DIY sheds for heavy stuff.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/

Grunff

Simon Avery wrote:

Agricultural Merchants. (Must get that on a macro)

If only Mole Valley did Screwfix style next day mail order...

--
Grunff
Owain

"Grunff" wrote
| If only Mole Valley did Screwfix style next day mail order...

For a minute I thought you were talking about some offshoot of Sun Valley
and got a very bizarre image!

Owain

Simon Avery

Grunff wrote:

Hello Grunff

Agricultural Merchants. (Must get that on a macro)

G| If only Mole Valley did Screwfix style next day mail
G| order...

Ah, no - half the fun's wandering around the place.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/

Nick Finnigan

"Simon Avery" wrote in message

Agricultural Merchants. (Must get that on a macro)

You can get anything you want
At an Agricultural Merchant
(except food)

Will Dean

"Nick Finnigan" wrote in message
"Simon Avery" wrote in message

Agricultural Merchants. (Must get that on a macro)

You can get anything you want
At an Agricultural Merchant
(except food)

You've not been to Mole Valley Farmers, then.

Will

Simon Avery

"Nick Finnigan" wrote:

Hello Nick

Agricultural Merchants. (Must get that on a macro)

NF| You can get anything you want
NF| At an Agricultural Merchant
NF| (except food)

MVF stock sandwiches, milk, soft drinks (by the 24 tin tray) and
chocolate!

I also get all my sausages, cheese and bacon there, all locally
produced and better than supermarket stuff! [1]

I'm also an avid follower of MVF Fashion, buying 90% of my clothes
there.

--
[1] Exception being Potted Stilton from Fortnum's. Every christmas I
treat myself to a pot of this stuff, it's truly sublime.

Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/

Grunff

Simon Avery wrote:

I'm also an avid follower of MVF Fashion, buying 90% of my clothes
there.

You too eh?

--
Grunff