Chris Oates

Default Door frame partly split at top hinge.

"Chris Wilson" wrote in message
Modern (18 year old) house, door has been strained too far open by big
dog! The frame at the point of the topmost hinge of 3 has split over a
length of about 6 inches equidistant top and bottom of the hinge. the
crack then peters out back into unsplit timber. What's the best way to
make a permanent repair? I was thinking of removing the door and hinges
from the frame, slightly opening the gap up by inserting a slim chisel
blade or similar, injecting a good epoxy adhesive and letting the crack
spring back relaxed again. Good enough, or something better?

PVA wood glue is much easier to get into small cracks, wipes
off easily & is surprisingly strong.

Andy Hall

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 00:29:07 -0000, Chris Wilson
wrote:

Modern (18 year old) house, door has been strained too far open by big
dog! The frame at the point of the topmost hinge of 3 has split over a
length of about 6 inches equidistant top and bottom of the hinge. the
crack then peters out back into unsplit timber. What's the best way to
make a permanent repair? I was thinking of removing the door and hinges
from the frame, slightly opening the gap up by inserting a slim chisel
blade or similar, injecting a good epoxy adhesive and letting the crack
spring back relaxed again. Good enough, or something better?

A pic speaks a thousand words, the problem is at
http://chriswilson.tv/frame.jpg

Thanks!

I'd have thought prizing the frame apart a bit as you describe should
work.

What I'd do is to take off the architrave on the side where the door
is shown in the photo i.e. in the room on the right.

I'd probably use polyurethane glue, but then drill and countersink
through the frame from the room side - i.e. at right angles to the
hinge screws, above and below the hinge; and screw into the frame.
This will strengthen and clamp at the same time.

You could risk not screwing through the frame - PU glue is pretty
strong if clamped properly and no big gaps to fill.

Finally refit the architrave and then consider adding a third hinge if
there are only two.

Then all that remains is some valium for the dog :-)

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
The Natural Philosopher

Chris Wilson wrote:

Modern (18 year old) house, door has been strained too far open by big
dog! The frame at the point of the topmost hinge of 3 has split over a
length of about 6 inches equidistant top and bottom of the hinge. the
crack then peters out back into unsplit timber. What's the best way to
make a permanent repair? I was thinking of removing the door and hinges
from the frame, slightly opening the gap up by inserting a slim chisel
blade or similar, injecting a good epoxy adhesive and letting the crack
spring back relaxed again. Good enough, or something better?

inject PVA and nail the crack shut.

(No dear, this is a DIY group, and we are discussing door frames :-))

BigWallop

"Chris Wilson" wrote in message
Modern (18 year old) house, door has been strained too far open by big
dog! The frame at the point of the topmost hinge of 3 has split over a
length of about 6 inches equidistant top and bottom of the hinge. the
crack then peters out back into unsplit timber. What's the best way to
make a permanent repair? I was thinking of removing the door and hinges
from the frame, slightly opening the gap up by inserting a slim chisel
blade or similar, injecting a good epoxy adhesive and letting the crack
spring back relaxed again. Good enough, or something better?

A pic speaks a thousand words, the problem is at
http://chriswilson.tv/frame.jpg

Thanks!

Best regards,
Chris.

The crack is right along the line of the screw holes so take the screws out
and squirt some watered down PVA wood glue, about 50/50 mix, into them, as
deep and as mush as possible, then leave it for a full 48 hours to cure off.
You should then be able to make a narrow drill hole, about half the diameter
approx' of the screws, through the hard glue and put the screws back in.