Posted to rec.woodworking
Dan Dan is offline

Default Harbor Freight 2HP dust collector

Anyone have any experience with this Harbor Freight dust collector:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45378 ?

TIA

Dan

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 12, 5:27 pm, "Dan" wrote:
Anyone have any experience with this Harbor Freight dust collector:http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...mnumber=45378?

TIA

Dan

yep.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/search?
hl=en&group=rec.woodworking&q=Harbor+Freight+dust+ collector&qt_g=Search
+this+group

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dan" wrote in message
Anyone have any experience with this Harbor Freight dust collector:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45378 ?

TIA

Dan

I've been using mine, plumbed through 4" PVC pipe with not complaints for
the past 4 years. If plan to save money by using PVC or S&D (the later is
cheaper) you can count on a few headache with making connection to gates and
4" hoses and their adapters. If you have more money than time buy DC
plumbing through a specialty supplier such as Penn State Industries (there
are others) and they will even plan the layout for you.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dan Dan is offline

"C & E" wrote in message

"Dan" wrote in message
Anyone have any experience with this Harbor Freight dust collector:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45378 ?

TIA

Dan

I've been using mine, plumbed through 4" PVC pipe with not complaints for
the past 4 years. If plan to save money by using PVC or S&D (the later is
cheaper) you can count on a few headache with making connection to gates
and 4" hoses and their adapters. If you have more money than time buy DC
plumbing through a specialty supplier such as Penn State Industries (there
are others) and they will even plan the layout for you.

Thanks for the helpful reply. Do you use yours with the stock bag setup, or
with the canister filter conversion HF offers:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94278 ?
I have read the unit doesn't filter fine particles too well with the stock
bags. Have you noticed this? Some say the Grizzly G5556 bags will fit &
filter better, and that any bag lets a lot of fine dust through.

Here's an interesting link on another conversion on the machine to improve
filtering, for anyone interested:
http://www.msu.edu/user/olsonbr2/HFDC/HF-DC.htm

Thanks again

Dan

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 17:27:32 -0700, "Dan" wrote:

Anyone have any experience with this Harbor Freight dust collector:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45378 ?

TIA

Dan

I've been using one for 3 or 4 years and it still runs.. lol

The only thing I'd like to see different is that the motor be 110/220 as it does
pull a lot of current on startup..

I use 4" DC hose with several blast gates and a shop made trash can separator
and am happy with it for the money..

I was thinking of upgrading the bags to a filter canister but for less than $300
I bought the jet ceiling mounted air filter instead..

One MAJOR improvement was adding the noise suppresser (muffler) from Penn
State...
That really quieted it down and was a good investment for $80..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dan wrote:

"C & E" wrote in message

"Dan" wrote in message
[...]

Get the Wynn kit, model 95A if I remember correctly. Then buy the bags at
someplace like Penn State.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dan wrote:

Thanks for the helpful reply. Do you use yours with the stock bag setup, or
with the canister filter conversion HF offers:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94278 ?
I have read the unit doesn't filter fine particles too well with the stock
bags. Have you noticed this? Some say the Grizzly G5556 bags will fit &
filter better, and that any bag lets a lot of fine dust through.

Here's an interesting link on another conversion on the machine to improve
filtering, for anyone interested:
http://www.msu.edu/user/olsonbr2/HFDC/HF-DC.htm

Thanks again

Dan

The 30 micron bag lets exactly the dust you most need to control slip
through. I have one ... but I also run a room air filter that gets stuff
down below 1 micron. I use a 'cyclone' lid on a large fiberboard drum
and it keeps the drum scrubbed clean. I probably need to bleed some air
into the system to reduce the suckage but I don't use it enough to pet
the sweaty things.

Bill