Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Reprise; Milling Lumber in Philadelphia

I gotta revicit this topic from a few months ago. I have these two big
cedar tree trunks in my front yard that I'd love to mill into usable
lumber. I'd be willing to hire someone with a portable sawmill, even tho
I know it's probably not enough wood to be cost-effective. But I'd
rather get the wood than chuck the trunks.

(I live in West Philadelphia, near the University of Pennsylvania, and I
could arrange for an area of the street to be kept clear for the job.)

But someone else mentioned how Roy Underhill once explained how lumber
was milled by hand, i.e., splitting the logs with wedges and
hand-planing it down. I'd be interested in trying this (if only to slice
the trunks into smaller pieces). Which of his books would have this
information? Can anyone offer advice on this?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Brian Siano wrote in news:fbs7ko$53jo$1
@netnews.upenn.edu:

I gotta revicit this topic from a few months ago. I have these two big
cedar tree trunks in my front yard that I'd love to mill into usable
lumber. I'd be willing to hire someone with a portable sawmill, even tho
I know it's probably not enough wood to be cost-effective. But I'd
rather get the wood than chuck the trunks.

(I live in West Philadelphia, near the University of Pennsylvania, and I
could arrange for an area of the street to be kept clear for the job.)

But someone else mentioned how Roy Underhill once explained how lumber
was milled by hand, i.e., splitting the logs with wedges and
hand-planing it down. I'd be interested in trying this (if only to slice
the trunks into smaller pieces). Which of his books would have this
information? Can anyone offer advice on this?

On a similar topic, a recent FWW had an article on small sawmills as wood
sources, and had mini-articles on three mills in the general area of
Eastern Penn. If you haven't seen that, it's worth it to drop by the
library and look.

Patriarch,
on the other coast...
Posted to rec.woodworking
ron ron is offline

Another option. I recently cut an elm tree into very rough lumber with a
chain saw attachment purchased from Harbor Freight. I saw the same
attachment in a recent Woodcraft catalog. I believe there are pictures on
ABPWW (logs to lumber 6/1/07)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Brian Siano wrote:
: I gotta revicit this topic from a few months ago. I have these two big
: cedar tree trunks in my front yard that I'd love to mill into usable
: lumber.

: (I live in West Philadelphia, near the University of Pennsylvania, and I
: could arrange for an area of the street to be kept clear for the job.)

You've got a front yard big enough to hold two big ceder tree
trunks?!? My front yard can't hold an 8x4 sheet of plywood.

: But someone else mentioned how Roy Underhill once explained how lumber
: was milled by hand, i.e., splitting the logs with wedges and
: hand-planing it down. I'd be interested in trying this (if only to slice
: the trunks into smaller pieces). Which of his books would have this
: information? Can anyone offer advice on this?

My guess is that you could split the trunks into thinner pieces, but
they'd be just as long. For cross-cut you'd want a saw. I've split
firewood with an axe, wedge, and sledge, but I wasn't trying for neat
boards.

I have a small chain saw that you can borrow, along with an axe,
sledge and wedge. I might even help a little until got I bored or
tired.

--- Chip