Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Paining NEW Cabinets

We acquired a set of slightly used display cabinets to use as a desk.
The problem is that where we are using these cabinets, the wood
doesn't match, so we want to paint them. These are KraftMaid maple
cabinets with a clear finish on them. After talking to a few people
about painting them, we decided to give it a try. We tried two
different techniques. 1 - Rub the test door down with Wilbond and then
paint with primer from BenMoore. After drying for over 24 hours, the
primer scrapes right off, not a good thing. So we tried #2 - Sand the
surface with 220 grit and prime. Unfortunately, we got the same
results, the primer just scrapes off with a finger nail.

Are we being too hopeful or anxious in our attempts to make sure the
paint stays affixed to the doors? We are planning on putting on a
enamel black finish.

We are using a Craftsman Detail and Touch-up Spray Gun to do the
spraying.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...eywor d=spray

Can anyone help with this endeavor?

Thanks
Ken

Posted to rec.woodworking

Almost without doubt your cabinets have a heat set precat lacquer on
them. They may also have dirt, detergent residue left from an
occasional cleaning, silicones left behind from a dusting agent, and
maybe wax from an attempt to spruce them up.

If it was me, I would start this way:

- Wash them down with a wet, sloppy rag full of lacquer thinner,
changing the rag often

- Sand every surface to be painted, and wash again with the lacquer
thinner. Be careful how you handle the cabinets while you are working
on them as you can leave leave fingerprints of sanding dust (like from
the back where you arent' going to paint, but still have the dust on
them) in the newly washed areas

- Apply a generous coat of Paso, or any other kind of solvent based
liquid sander. It doesn't really sand, but it does etch and will do
some cleaning

- Prime with a SOLVENT based primer like Bullseye sanding sealer.
Your luck with adhesion using the "white stuff" probably won't be that
good as it won't penetrate the wood surface since it was sealed with
the precat

- Paint with a solvent based finish

That should do it. BUT.... to be absolutely sure, you could strip
them and start fresh. If it was only a few cabinets, it should take
long to do that. Strip, sand, prime, paint.

Robert

Kitchen cabinets Alexander Galkin Woodworking 13 March 5th 05 01:28 PM
New Kitchen Cabinets HomeBrewer Home Repair 15 January 26th 05 03:47 PM
oak cabinets Don Woodworking 3 January 11th 05 05:50 AM
Brammer Cabinets barry martin Home Repair 1 March 8th 04 05:20 AM
Brammer Cabinets ng_reader Home Repair 1 March 5th 04 11:08 AM