Posted to rec.woodworking
avallk avallk is offline

Default Paining NEW Cabinets

We acquired a set of slightly used display cabinets to use as a desk.
The problem is that where we are using these cabinets, the wood
doesn't match, so we want to paint them. These are KraftMaid maple
cabinets with a clear finish on them. After talking to a few people
about painting them, we decided to give it a try. We tried two
different techniques. 1 - Rub the test door down with Wilbond and then
paint with primer from BenMoore. After drying for over 24 hours, the
primer scrapes right off, not a good thing. So we tried #2 - Sand the
surface with 220 grit and prime. Unfortunately, we got the same
results, the primer just scrapes off with a finger nail.

Are we being too hopeful or anxious in our attempts to make sure the
paint stays affixed to the doors? We are planning on putting on a
enamel black finish.

We are using a Craftsman Detail and Touch-up Spray Gun to do the
spraying.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...eywor d=spray

Can anyone help with this endeavor?

Thanks