Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT gfi outlet

How high should I install a GIFT outlet on a outside wall?
It'll be all water tight, 99.9% it wouldn't get wet at all.
I haven't found anything in the NEC books or on the net yet.
Did I miss something?

TIA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"noreaster" noreaster1athotmaildotcom wrote in
t:

How high should I install a GIFT outlet on a outside wall?
It'll be all water tight, 99.9% it wouldn't get wet at all.
I haven't found anything in the NEC books or on the net yet.
Did I miss something?

TIA

Most the outdoor outlets I've seen have been between 1 - 2 feet high. If
you put it too high, you'll just waste extension cord. Too low, and
you'll hit it when mowing or weed wacking. I think I'd go for 2 feet,
myself.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

noreaster wrote:
Thanx, that's what I'll do place it at 2 feet high.

I'd also want it to be high enough that the kid mowing the lawn won't
bang the mower into it.

--
Wise is the man who attempts to answer his question before asking
it.

To email me directly, send a message to puckdropper (at)
fastmail.fm

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"noreaster" noreaster1athotmaildotcom wrote in message
t...
Thanx, that's what I'll do place it at 2 feet high.

Then make sure you don't plant shrubs that grow THREE foot high in front of
it....

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6 Sep, 05:38, "noreaster" noreaster1athotmaildotcom wrote:
Thanx, that's what I'll do place it at 2 feet high.

"Puckdropper" wrote in message

reenews.net...

"noreaster" noreaster1athotmaildotcom wrote in
et:

How high should I install a GIFT outlet on a outside wall?
It'll be all water tight, 99.9% it wouldn't get wet at all.
I haven't found anything in the NEC books or on the net yet.
Did I miss something?

TIA

Most the outdoor outlets I've seen have been between 1 - 2 feet high. If
you put it too high, you'll just waste extension cord. Too low, and
you'll hit it when mowing or weed wacking. I think I'd go for 2 feet,
myself.

Puckdropper

To email me directly, send a message to puckdropper (at) fastmail.fm- Hide quoted text -

Just a word of caution...

I have a GFCI mounted horizontally in one of the exterior boxes so
that the cover opens from the bottom. It's about 12" up from my deck.
When I open the cover, I can't see the outlets, so it's either fumble
around until I get the plug in or get down on my knees to see what I'm
doing. Getting down is still pretty easy...it's getting back up that
takes a little longer these days. ;-)

Just make sure that however/wherever you mount it, it's convenient to
use.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"George" wrote in
. net:

"noreaster" noreaster1athotmaildotcom wrote in message
t...
Thanx, that's what I'll do place it at 2 feet high.

Then make sure you don't plant shrubs that grow THREE foot high in
front of it....

Hey! That's a great idea if you like Christmas lights. :-)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Its high enough so I wont have to get on my knees. It'll be horizontally,
since I know how all my outlets are installed, it wont be a problem plugging
in. I figured since I'm doing away with one door with narrow windows on
either side with two doublehung windows I should have an outlet out front.

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"noreaster" noreaster1athotmaildotcom wrote in message
t...
How high should I install a GIFT outlet on a outside wall?
It'll be all water tight, 99.9% it wouldn't get wet at all.
I haven't found anything in the NEC books or on the net yet.
Did I miss something?

TIA

Did you look at the instructions that came with it? Wire it in just like
any other outlet, just make sure to wire the feed to the Line, and the load
to the Load.

There is a ton of stuff on the net showing how to do it. Google is your
friend.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"noreaster" noreaster1athotmaildotcom wrote in message
t...
How high should I install a GIFT outlet on a outside wall?
It'll be all water tight, 99.9% it wouldn't get wet at all.
I haven't found anything in the NEC books or on the net yet.
Did I miss something?

TIA

Oops - I'm sorry - I mis-read this post.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thats ok, it happens. I can do indoor wiring no problem. I redid the whole
house, it had ceramic posts and tubes. I got lucky over the front half above
the 2nd floor, there was enough room for me to crawl around above the
ceiling but below the roof and got most of it done that way.

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

"noreaster" noreaster1athotmaildotcom wrote in message
t...
How high should I install a GIFT outlet on a outside wall?
It'll be all water tight, 99.9% it wouldn't get wet at all.
I haven't found anything in the NEC books or on the net yet.
Did I miss something?

TIA

Oops - I'm sorry - I mis-read this post.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"noreaster" noreaster1athotmaildotcom wrote in
t:

Kind of hard to mow concrete on the porch, unless that's possible now.
:-)

You obviously haven't seen our driveway! It's mainly asphalt, but
there's grass growing in it.

Puckdropper