Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Opinions on this old bandsaw

Woodworker's 15" BandSaw - $75

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/411753440.html

If'n I don't have a bandsaw (yet), do you think it would be worth it
to take a look at this one? What should I look for in something that
is this old? By the picture, it looks in good shape. The price is
certainly right!

Thanks.
busbus

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hello Busbus,
I check Pittsburgh's Craig's List daily even though I live 4 hours
from there and being a bandsaw junkie I thought this was one of the
beter looking units posted in a long time. It certainly looks well
cared for-clean, minor table rust. I don't know its make or model
and I would feel cautious that some parts may be difficult to replace
but bearings may be generic and that's usually what needs to be
replaced most often after tires and blade guides. For the $75 asking
price (unless money is real tight) I don't think you'd be making a
mistake.
Go to www.OWWM.com and start checking out the pictures until you find
that model.
The motor may be one that requires oiling - a simple thing to do - and
the tracking needs to be checked. Make certain that blade tension
and tracking adjustemnt knobs are not siezed or banged up. Also check
for the guide adjustments.
Please let the group know if you pick this up.
Marc

On Sep 2, 9:31 pm, wrote:
Woodworker's 15" BandSaw - $75

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/411753440.html

If'n I don't have a bandsaw (yet), do you think it would be worth it
to take a look at this one? What should I look for in something that
is this old? By the picture, it looks in good shape. The price is
certainly right!

Thanks.
busbus

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
Woodworker's 15" BandSaw - $75

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/411753440.html

If'n I don't have a bandsaw (yet), do you think it would be worth it
to take a look at this one? What should I look for in something that
is this old? By the picture, it looks in good shape. The price is
certainly right!

Thanks.
busbus

Probably a better chassis than those made today. I'd take a chance on it.
Keep your fingers out of the wheels though.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 01:31:29 -0000, wrote:

Woodworker's 15" BandSaw - $75

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/411753440.html

If'n I don't have a bandsaw (yet), do you think it would be worth it
to take a look at this one? What should I look for in something that
is this old? By the picture, it looks in good shape. The price is
certainly right!

Thanks.
busbus

A good price, but there may be things that need repair/replacement.
Tuning up a bandsaw can be very frustrating, time-consuming, sometimes
costly.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 2, 9:31 pm, wrote:
take a look at this one? Woodworker's 15" BandSaw - $75

Geeze, its an antique for $75! have the thing bronzed and put it in
the living room if it ddoesn't saw as you need!

My Grandfather was often quoted "'tis a pur workman what blames 'is
tool."

That thing looks heavy enough to cut brimstone. Blades are going to be
a bit expensive, but for most jobs you'll not need a full revolution
to cut the stock, right?

If I was a Pittsburger, I'd be on it in a heartbeat.

You could threaten to put your kid's fingers in the wheels when they
were bad

The thing looks to be wood working art!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 3, 6:50 am, Phisherman wrote:
On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 01:31:29 -0000, wrote:
Woodworker's 15" BandSaw - $75

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/411753440.html

If'n I don't have a bandsaw (yet), do you think it would be worth it
to take a look at this one? What should I look for in something that
is this old? By the picture, it looks in good shape. The price is
certainly right!

Thanks.
busbus

A good price, but there may be things that need repair/replacement.
Tuning up a bandsaw can be very frustrating, time-consuming, sometimes
costly.

I spend a good bit of my free time researching, reading and dreaming
about what machines will occupy DreamShop and used equipment will
definitely play a very large role. That said, I'm almost positive
that I'll buy a new or very late model, top quality bandsaw. I very
much agree with Phisherman about how frustrating, time-consuming and
costly a not-so-perfect bandsaw can be. Especially if you're planning
on doing any resawing on it. IMO the bandsaw is the most difficult to
tune machine in the shop.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote in message

I spend a good bit of my free time researching, reading and dreaming
about what machines will occupy DreamShop and used equipment will
definitely play a very large role. That said, I'm almost positive
that I'll buy a new or very late model, top quality bandsaw. I very
much agree with Phisherman about how frustrating, time-consuming and
costly a not-so-perfect bandsaw can be. Especially if you're planning
on doing any resawing on it. IMO the bandsaw is the most difficult to
tune machine in the shop.

So, is that a no?

From here, none of us can tell if it is a nightmare or the sweetest cutting
saw in the state.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 01:31:29 -0000, wrote:

Woodworker's 15" BandSaw - $75

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/411753440.html

If'n I don't have a bandsaw (yet), do you think it would be worth it
to take a look at this one? What should I look for in something that
is this old? By the picture, it looks in good shape. The price is
certainly right!

I'd want to see how much vibration there was.

Dust collection looks to be a challenge. You can hang a hose under
the table, but anything that gets by it is going to go everywhere.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 3, 11:30 am, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Jay Pique" wrote in message

I spend a good bit of my free time researching, reading and dreaming
about what machines will occupy DreamShop and used equipment will
definitely play a very large role. That said, I'm almost positive
that I'll buy a new or very late model, top quality bandsaw. I very
much agree with Phisherman about how frustrating, time-consuming and
costly a not-so-perfect bandsaw can be. Especially if you're planning
on doing any resawing on it. IMO the bandsaw is the most difficult to
tune machine in the shop.

So, is that a no?

Naw. Just what I was thinking when I typed it.

From here, none of us can tell if it is a nightmare or the sweetest cutting
saw in the state.

You're right. Which is why I'm not recommending a saw I know nothing
about to a poster who may not be at all familiar with bandsaws and
their potential issues, much less how to identify and fix them - if he
even has the time or desire to do so.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Hoosierpopi" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 2, 9:31 pm, wrote:
take a look at this one? Woodworker's 15" BandSaw - $75

Geeze, its an antique for $75! have the thing bronzed and put it in
the living room if it ddoesn't saw as you need!

My Grandfather was often quoted "'tis a pur workman what blames 'is
tool."

That thing looks heavy enough to cut brimstone. Blades are going to be
a bit expensive, but for most jobs you'll not need a full revolution
to cut the stock, right?

Because most decent blade manufacturers make custom sized blades for the
same per inch price that regular blades are sold for the blades should not
be expensive at all.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leuf" wrote in message

Dust collection looks to be a challenge. You can hang a hose under
the table, but anything that gets by it is going to go everywhere.

Put the saw near the door and you between a big fan and the saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 3, 1:33 pm, Jay Pique wrote:
So, is that a no?

Naw. Just what I was thinking when I typed it.

From here, none of us can tell if it is a nightmare or the sweetest cutting
saw in the state.

You're right. Which is why I'm not recommending a saw I know nothing
about to a poster who may not be at all familiar with bandsaws and
their potential issues, much less how to identify and fix them - if he
even has the time or desire to do so.

The reaon I even wanted to think about this saw is because the dang-
gone thing looks very much like a very, very olfd saw my father had
whilst I was growing up, except it was a huge thing, at least 20" or
more--it came out of some old lumber mill near our house. Each wheel
came up to the throat of a certain eight-year-old boy. The frame
looks strikingly similar and the entire design just reminds me of it.
It is long gone now and maybe it's in my mind but I remember that
thing cutting so sweet. It was the first big tool he ever let me use
and was the one I used the most growing up.

I was a-feared about some of the tings being said: can't find parts,
it may not track right, vibration issues....I was using my heart
instead of my head. But, gosh durn it, like somebody said: it would
look good in the famill room and could be one heck of a good attitude
adjuster....

busbus