Posted to rec.woodworking
John Partridge

Default Rikon 10" bandsaw - any opinions

This is my first newsgroup post so let me know if I muck something up.

The Rikon 10-300 10" bandsaw looks like a good deal for someone on a budget
or just getting started. Anyone have any experience with one? Any
complaints? Cutting capacity is listed as 3 3/8", seems a shame they didn't
make it 3 1/2" (or is that an easy fix?).

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 13:39:54 -0500, "John Partridge"
wrote:

This is my first newsgroup post so let me know if I muck something up.

The Rikon 10-300 10" bandsaw looks like a good deal for someone on a budget
or just getting started. Anyone have any experience with one? Any
complaints? Cutting capacity is listed as 3 3/8", seems a shame they didn't
make it 3 1/2" (or is that an easy fix?).

I don't have a Rikon, I had a 9" Ryobi that served me well for a
couple of years. I am sure the Rikon is better than mine, but about
the limit of hardwood that I could run through it was 1.5", and it
wasn't happy about that. It could do more than that in softwood. But
really it was happiest dealing with 3/4" and below, which was what 90%
of what I did with it was. If you anticipate regularly trying to cut
4x's with it, I would seriously think about getting a 14" saw. The
Ridgid at HD is probably the least expensive option.

A lot of people will say not to even bother with anything smaller than
14" regardless of what you think you need now. A smaller subset will
tell you don't even bother with a regular 14" saw, you need to plop
down $1500. My little $99 Ryobi cut an awful lot of wood over 2-3
years, and it's still in the shop next to the 14". If you're willing
to accept their limitations and work within them they'll do the job.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

The Rikon 10-300 10" bandsaw looks like a good deal for someone on a budget or just getting started. Anyone have any experience with one? Any complaints?

I don't have the Rikon either, but I do have a 10" bandsaw that has a
4" resaw capacity and claims 1/2HP. (It's actually a Ryobi, but I
don't really want to say that out loud on this NG...) Of course it's
not as nice or smooth or heavy as a "real" bandsaw, but I have never
had it stall, and I've used it to cut through about 140 linear feet of
2" thick white oak, plus a variety of other smaller operations. I
needed to hand plane off the saw marks, but the saw has definitely been
functional. With the tilting table set carefully, it cuts
miters/bevels better than anything else I have (handheld circ saw or
jigsaw).
If I would have seen the 10" Rikon before I got mine, I probably would
have bought the Rikon - if nothing else, you save $50 and have good
blades pre-made to length available from Woodcraft. One thing I've
noticed is that there is a Craftsman (another bad word here most of the
time) 10" bandsaw that looks extremely similar to the Rikon, so you
might see which one's cheaper or available locally before you buy.
Craftsman also has a 12" that they claim has a 7" resaw capacity, and
Grizzly has 14" models starting at $325 (+shipping if they're not local
for you).
You might also check out ebay or local classifieds for used models.
Good luck,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Arthur

I have a 10" Rikon and I find it a very useful, accurate and inexpensive
Bandsaw. It is more than adequate for about up to 4" thick hardwoods.
For starters ditch the blade that came with it.
The rollerguide system that came with the Rikon is top notch and worth the
cost of the whole Bandsaw.
It can be used just by replacing the blade with a quality blade and spend
some time aligning the table and guides.
When you get time, in the future, replace the metal tilt table with a
laminiate covered plywood table with a slot for a better quality sliding
square from your table saw or buy one.

"John Partridge" wrote in message
. ..
This is my first newsgroup post so let me know if I muck something up.

The Rikon 10-300 10" bandsaw looks like a good deal for someone on a
budget or just getting started. Anyone have any experience with one? Any
complaints? Cutting capacity is listed as 3 3/8", seems a shame they
didn't make it 3 1/2" (or is that an easy fix?).

Posted to rec.woodworking
No

"John Partridge" wrote in message
. ..
This is my first newsgroup post so let me know if I muck something up.

The Rikon 10-300 10" bandsaw looks like a good deal for someone on a
budget or just getting started. Anyone have any experience with one? Any
complaints? Cutting capacity is listed as 3 3/8", seems a shame they
didn't make it 3 1/2" (or is that an easy fix?).

i was looking at one at woodcraft last week. Seems pretty nice for the money
when compared to the Delta shopmaster. If it meets your requirements size
wise then I would say its probably a good value for what it is.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

No wrote:

i was looking at one at woodcraft last week. Seems pretty nice for
the money when compared to the Delta shopmaster. If it meets your
requirements size wise then I would say its probably a good value for
what it is.

I agree but I wonder why most people knock the Harbor Freight tools from
China and not Rikon which is also from China?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Blanchard

dadiOH wrote:

No wrote:

i was looking at one at woodcraft last week. Seems pretty nice for
the money when compared to the Delta shopmaster. If it meets your
requirements size wise then I would say its probably a good value for
what it is.

I agree but I wonder why most people knock the Harbor Freight tools
from China and not Rikon which is also from China?

Depends on who's doing the QC :-).

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking
John Partridge

"Frank Arthur" wrote in message
I have a 10" Rikon and I find it a very useful, accurate and inexpensive
Bandsaw. It is more than adequate for about up to 4" thick hardwoods.
For starters ditch the blade that came with it.
The rollerguide system that came with the Rikon is top notch and worth the
cost of the whole Bandsaw.
It can be used just by replacing the blade with a quality blade and spend
some time aligning the table and guides.
When you get time, in the future, replace the metal tilt table with a
laminiate covered plywood table with a slot for a better quality sliding
square from your table saw or buy one.

Did you modify it so you could do 4" thick material? I ask because Rikon
says it's limited to 3 3/8". To be clear, can I turn a 2x4 into 2 1x4s?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andrew Barss

John Partridge wrote:

: Did you modify it so you could do 4" thick material? I ask because Rikon
: says it's limited to 3 3/8". To be clear, can I turn a 2x4 into 2 1x4s?

A 2x4 is actually between 3 1/2 and 3 3/4 inches thick.

-- Andy barss
Posted to rec.woodworking
John Partridge

Well my first newsgroup thread has some issues

1. When I quote someone google shows my post following the person I quoted
instead of at the end of the thread. Hmmm that's seems a little wierd.

2. I mean no disrespect but who cares if a 2x is 3 1/2" or 3 5/8" or 3
3/4"? The poster I responded to said he could do 4" whereas the
manufacturer says 3 3/8" is the limit. Will the 10" Rikon accept more than
3 3/8" vertical or won't it?

3. I've been meaning to ditch Outlook Express for a long time and now I've
got another reason. I can't type my own name without edits and OE leaves
wordwrap slop all over the place .

Thanks everyone for responding. Inexpensive bandsaws are tough to decide on
aren't they? As far as I can tell, noone is doing justice to the low end of
the market. The Delta is ****ing everyone off... The Ridgid looks ok
but... The Grizzly makes sense but the shipping hurts. The Ryobi is well a
Ryobi. The HF is well you know. The XXX is...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lowell Holmes

[...]

Have you thought about a 12" Jet or Delta if the 14" bandsaws are too
expensive and you don't like the $100 saws. I recently bought a Jet (new
unused old stock) and put a riser block and a Kreg fence on it. It will cut
to tenon making accuracy and also resaw up to 12". I admit the cost with the
portable roll around base, the fence and rhe riser block is almost $700, but
the saw is a keeper and I am extremely satisfied with it.

The 3/4 hp 14" delta is available from Lowes for $400 and if you watch the
fit and finish closely, it looks like a good saw to me.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf

John Partridge wrote:
Thanks everyone for responding. Inexpensive bandsaws are tough to decide on
aren't they? As far as I can tell, noone is doing justice to the low end of
the market. The Delta is ****ing everyone off... The Ridgid looks ok
but... The Grizzly makes sense but the shipping hurts. The Ryobi is well a
Ryobi. The HF is well you know. The XXX is...

Another thing to consider.. is this for a one time use project or
something you plan on keeping forever? I'm asking because if it's a one
time project that you need to rip 4" stock down to 1 x 4, you can do
that on a table saw, even a cheap table top one, if you're very
meticulous about setup.

If it's a long term tool, I agree with the other poster and I'd try to
wait to save up for a 14" BS.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf

John Partridge wrote:
Well my first newsgroup thread has some issues

And to answer your other question.. if they say the cutting limit is 3
3/8, you can be absolutely certain that is the very maximum you can
cut. If anything, bandsaws tend to exaggerate cutting height a little
bit on the high side, because sometimes you lose a little bit off the
"ideal" height due to the blade guard/support.
So, the answer is likely, No.. you can't cut anything more than 3 3/8
high

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Arthur

Sorry for my error John.

With my modified table I only clear 3 1/.8"

"John Partridge" wrote in message
. ..

"Frank Arthur" wrote in message
I have a 10" Rikon and I find it a very useful, accurate and inexpensive
Bandsaw. It is more than adequate for about up to 4" thick hardwoods.
For starters ditch the blade that came with it.
The rollerguide system that came with the Rikon is top notch and worth
the cost of the whole Bandsaw.
It can be used just by replacing the blade with a quality blade and spend
some time aligning the table and guides.
When you get time, in the future, replace the metal tilt table with a
laminiate covered plywood table with a slot for a better quality sliding
square from your table saw or buy one.

Did you modify it so you could do 4" thick material? I ask because Rikon
says it's limited to 3 3/8". To be clear, can I turn a 2x4 into 2 1x4s?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lowell Holmes

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in message

"John Partridge" wrote in message snip
expensive and you don't like the $100 saws. I recently bought a Jet (new
unused old stock) and put a riser block and a Kreg fence on it. It will
cut to tenon making accuracy and also resaw up to 12". I admit the cost
with the portable roll around base, the fence and rhe riser block is
almost $700, but the saw is a keeper and I am extremely satisfied with it.

The 3/4 hp 14" delta is available from Lowes for $400 and if you watch the
fit and finish closely, it looks like a good saw to me.

I was not clear in my prior post, the Jet BS I purchased is a 14" saw.

Also, I think the 12" Delta saw that Lowes is selling costs less than $300.

In his video "Mastering Your Band Saw", Mark Duginske uses several saws
including a 9" Sears saw. Of course it will be limited in re-saw capacity.

I went through all of this back in early January; I bit the bullet as they
say and bought the Jet. I was looking for a certain fit and finish in a
price range (which I exceeded), but I'm satisfied with my decision. I
considered and would have purchased a Delta or a Grizzly if the
circumstances had led me to it. OBTW, I just deposited my $50 rebate check
from Jet. :-)
As someone on the rec said, "Buy a good tool and cry when you pay for it,
buy a cheap tool and cry every time you use it".

Posted to rec.woodworking
John Partridge

I wasn't very clear. When I mentioned the low-end of the bandsaw market, I
WAS talking about 14" saws. It's only because none of the inexpensive ones
are issue-free that the 10" Rikon began to make sense to me. Btw, I'm
making the switch from remodeling to woodworking and I'm amazed at how many
tools I've had to buy. My credit cards are crying foul and I haven't even
replaced my $175 benchtop
toss-it-in-the-back-of-the-truck-and-who-cares-if-it-bounces table saw yet.
Yikes!

Bill you make a lot of sense. I'd love to buy a big ol Rikon or Laguna but
I'm tapped. My local HF only has the 4 speed bandsaw, is that a good one?
Were you able to order the riser block from HF? I'd call customer service
but I checked and they're only available M-F.

In case it helps anyone, this is a good source for coupons (HF and others).
http://www.wow-coupons.com/all-print...il-coupons.php With 20% off
and the fact that it's on sale until the 27th the HF bandsaw comes to about
$210. I gotta do it.

Frank - thanks for clearing up the size thing. Thanks everyone for the
input and advice. I've been lurking in this group for a few weeks and now
that I've broken the ice I'll try to help where I can. If y'all don't mind
cheap beer...

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"bf" wrote in message
oups.com...

John Partridge wrote:
Well my first newsgroup thread has some issues

And to answer your other question.. if they say the cutting limit is 3
3/8, you can be absolutely certain that is the very maximum you can
cut. If anything, bandsaws tend to exaggerate cutting height a little
bit on the high side, because sometimes you lose a little bit off the
"ideal" height due to the blade guard/support.
So, the answer is likely, No.. you can't cut anything more than 3 3/8
high

Which is why my Delta which is advertised as 6" will cut 6 1/4" ?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale

"George" George@least wrote in message
cut. If anything, bandsaws tend to exaggerate cutting height a little
bit on the high side, because sometimes you lose a little bit off the
"ideal" height due to the blade guard/support.
So, the answer is likely, No.. you can't cut anything more than 3 3/8
high

Which is why my Delta which is advertised as 6" will cut 6 1/4" ?

You must have one of the faulty ones. g

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"John Partridge" wrote in message
I wasn't very clear. When I mentioned the low-end of the bandsaw market, I
WAS talking about 14" saws. It's only because none of the inexpensive ones
are issue-free that the 10" Rikon began to make sense to me. Btw, I'm
making the switch from remodeling to woodworking and I'm amazed at how many
tools I've had to buy. My credit cards are crying foul and I haven't even
replaced my $175 benchtop
toss-it-in-the-back-of-the-truck-and-who-cares-if-it-bounces table saw yet.
Yikes!

Bill you make a lot of sense. I'd love to buy a big ol Rikon or Laguna
but I'm tapped. My local HF only has the 4 speed bandsaw, is that a good
one? Were you able to order the riser block from HF? I'd call customer
service but I checked and they're only available M-F.

One issue no one has mentioned, which is worth considering is blade life.
The blade tensioned around a 10" wheel will undergo a great deal more flex
and heat and work-hardening than a 14". Can cause premature breakage.
Perhaps the newer silicon steel alloy blades don't have the problem.

As to QC issues, they're pretty much a case of paying and taking your
chances. Though certain nameplates are allowed more defects than others -
same foundry, by and large - it is also possible to get one which would have
passed the highest standards with some other nameplate. The minimums are
the minimums, maximums are not applied. They're filling orders, after all,
and don't have the time or place to store a "good" run for their next
customer.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"dadiOH" wrote in message
No wrote:

i was looking at one at woodcraft last week. Seems pretty nice for
the money when compared to the Delta shopmaster. If it meets your
requirements size wise then I would say its probably a good value for
what it is.

I agree but I wonder why most people knock the Harbor Freight tools from
China and not Rikon which is also from China?

The Rikon Ban Saws fit and finish is top rate.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Leon wrote:

I agree but I wonder why most people knock the Harbor Freight tools from
China and not Rikon which is also from China?

The Rikon Ban Saws fit and finish is top rate.

I don't think HF requires any kind of departure from a base model, or
quality assurance from its suppliers.

Some distributors (claim to) only use factories that have a well-defined
process control, give their own minimum standard requirements to be used
by that factory, and follow up with technical support for the end user.

This is a really brief summary of iso 9001:

http://praxiom.com/iso-9001-1994a.htm

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
W Canaday

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 17:10:48 -0500, John Partridge wrote:

Bill you make a lot of sense. I'd love to buy a big ol Rikon or Laguna
but I'm tapped. My local HF only has the 4 speed bandsaw, is that a good
one? Were you able to order the riser block from HF? I'd call customer
service but I checked and they're only available M-F.

John,
I own the 4 speed and I've been using it for roughly a year. In that year
I've added the riser block and the blade rollers. Both ordered
directly from the HF web site. Recently I bought a premium 3/4" x 3t blade
at Woodcraft.

It's all been good.

I can cut veneer that is consistently 1/16" with very little variation
from end to end / top to bottom.

It's not a heavy-duty industrial saw, such as a Dayton might be, but it's
got a solid casting and there doesn't seem to be any play in my upper
wheel, as I've noticed comments about on another make recently. Bearings
in any saw will eventually let loose. I have no reason to expect my
bearings to let go prematurely, but when the time comes, it's easy enough
to replace them from local industrial bearing sources.

I have in mind to retro-fit it for a 4" dust chute as I don't like using
my shop vac for this purpose because it is too loud. I also own the 2 hp
HF dust collector. It is undersized from optimum but better than nothing
at all. DO replace the stock bags with felt bags, though. The stock bags
only filter to 30 microns and that is NOT good enough for good health.
Perhaps your wife would like a pair of heavy canvass laundry bags? ;-)

When I buy a HF tool, I am aware that I may want to upgrade later. My
lathes will eventually include a Woodtek or Oneway model with
much beefier specs. But I don't see getting rid of the HF lathes unless I
simply need the space ... there are too many young Brothers in my
congregation who could use some lathe time with an older Brother ... and
the conversation that goes with it.

Bill