Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Another bandsaw question....

I just picked up "The new complete guide to the Band Saw" and I get the
impression that cool blocks are a better choice than bearings. He ( Mark
Duginske) invented and pantented them. For all around, general use are the
cool blocks better? What do you preffer?

Thanks
Jimmy

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jimmy,
There are 'cool blocks' and there are 'COOL blocks'.

When I finally got done 'agonizing' over the decision {about which to one to
get}, the 14in JET Open Stand came with Phonolic/Micarta-type blocks. After
putting it together, & 'tuning' it {per Duginske and 'lurking & listening'
here}, I made a few 'tweak's per my engineering background.

One of the 'purchased items was a set of Ceramic Blocks. I tend to use
'wider' blades. On the occasions that I will use blades under 1/4in, or need
to 'copy' a template {and therefore 'bury' the blade} I'll switch back to
the 'softer' ones. Plus probably make some 'wooden' ones from oil-infused
Walnut.

When the 'rear blade support Bearings' go, I will replace them with Ceramic,
as well. Of course, that is for ME and the type of work that predominates.

From what I understand, those 'Side Roller Bearings' {Carter, etc}, are more
for the support of finer {1/4in and under} blades and tightly curved cuts.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Jimmy" wrote in message
et...
I just picked up "The new complete guide to the Band Saw" and I get the
impression that cool blocks are a better choice than bearings. He ( Mark
Duginske) invented and pantented them. For all around, general use are the
cool blocks better? What do you preffer?

Thanks
Jimmy

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ron Magen wrote:

One of the 'purchased items was a set of Ceramic Blocks. I tend to
use 'wider' blades. On the occasions that I will use blades under
1/4in, or need to 'copy' a template {and therefore 'bury' the
blade} I'll switch back to the 'softer' ones.

Plus probably make
some 'wooden' ones from oil-infused Walnut.

You being a boatshop guy, why not lignum vitae? It was made for the
purpose, works great.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jimmy" wrote in message
et...
I just picked up "The new complete guide to the Band Saw" and I get the
impression that cool blocks are a better choice than bearings. He ( Mark
Duginske) invented and pantented them. For all around, general use are the
cool blocks better? What do you preffer?

Thanks
Jimmy

About 18 months ago I went from a Craftsman to an 18" Rikon with roller
bearings. I kept the Rikon for 2 weeks and returned it. I replaced it with
a saw that has ceramic guides.

Roller bearings tend to be very noisy and they will in many instances and
especially when cutting green wood, load up with debris and bang against the
blade. They are a neat idea that probably works under the right conditions
and with "dry" wood but I prefer the non roller guides. The ceramic blades
tend to scrape and keep the blade clean.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 07:12:03 -0500, Leon wrote:

Roller bearings tend to be very noisy and they will in many instances and
especially when cutting green wood, load up with debris and bang against the
blade. They are a neat idea that probably works under the right conditions
and with "dry" wood but I prefer the non roller guides. The ceramic blades
tend to scrape and keep the blade clean.

I've mentioned this before, but after having that problem when cutting
green wood, I cleaned the blade and wiped it with a TopCote like product
whose name escapes me. No more problems.

Another bandsaw question [email protected] Woodworking 3 January 14th 07 04:22 PM
Bandsaw question Vic Baron Woodworking 5 July 5th 06 12:46 AM
Bandsaw question Al A. Metalworking 7 October 29th 05 09:08 PM
Bandsaw question JuanKnighter Woodworking 6 July 9th 05 07:39 AM
BandSaw Question damian penney Woodworking 32 January 3rd 05 05:26 PM