Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Another bandsaw question

I'm in the market for a 14" bandsaw. I'm seriously looking at the
Powermatic 1791216K 14CS. Seems to be better built (more cast iron)
than some of the others. Anybody have any experience with this model?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 12, 9:15 am, " wrote:
I'm in the market for a 14" bandsaw. I'm seriously looking at the
Powermatic 1791216K 14CS. Seems to be better built (more cast iron)
than some of the others. Anybody have any experience with this model?

Don't personally know the powermatic. My delta not that great. I am
going to try to do something about the guides which are pretty sloppy.
Cool blocks not helping that much.
The Laguna get's the best review usually, also the Rikon.
I don't know what kind of work you are doing but re sawing is pretty
hard on the 1 hp 14" delta.
The blade is absolutely critical. Delta Blades Suck,

MBR

Posted to rec.woodworking

"gadgetman" wrote in message
ups.com...

On Jan 12, 9:15 am, " wrote:
I'm in the market for a 14" bandsaw. I'm seriously looking at the
Powermatic 1791216K 14CS. Seems to be better built (more cast iron)
than some of the others. Anybody have any experience with this model?

Don't personally know the powermatic. My delta not that great. I am
going to try to do something about the guides which are pretty sloppy.
Cool blocks not helping that much.
The Laguna get's the best review usually, also the Rikon.
I don't know what kind of work you are doing but re sawing is pretty
hard on the 1 hp 14" delta.
The blade is absolutely critical. Delta Blades Suck,

MBR

I agree, the blade is critical. Try a 3tpi stagger tooth blade from BC Saw
and making a resaw will be easier for you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I purchased one from Amazon last year. The castings aren't clearly any
better than any of the others 14" saws I looked at, and the paint
started to chip off even before it was out of the box. I couldn't
generate enough tension with the stock blade, so I replaced it with a
better blade and a higher tension spring. This was a lot better, but
the handle on the quick release broke. The guide post wasn't straight,
so that every time the height was adjusted, the guides needed to be
reset. It took 6 weeks for a replacement post to arrive which was
dramatically better, but far from perfect. Those are just the highlights
of the problems I had - although others have been very happy with their
saws.

I ended up sending mine back to Amazon, and replacing the saw with a
Grizzly G0513X for almost the same price. There is no comparison. The
Grizzly is bigger and needs 220V (and was more of a challenge to get
down the steps!) but is quieter, more powerful, has less vibration, has
a more effective quick release, bigger guides. . . It is just more
enjoyable to use. The Powermatic I got didn't seem that much better
than the 12" sears it replaced (at least for the things I used it for).
The Grizzly is a different tool.

Good luck

David

Bandsaw question Vic Baron Woodworking 5 July 5th 06 12:46 AM
Bandsaw Question Snag Metalworking 8 May 16th 06 02:13 AM
Bandsaw question Al A. Metalworking 7 October 29th 05 09:08 PM
Bandsaw question JuanKnighter Woodworking 6 July 9th 05 07:39 AM
BandSaw Question damian penney Woodworking 32 January 3rd 05 05:26 PM