Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Need Thick Wood

I need some wood that is about 18/4 thick, different varieties like oak,
walnut, cherry, etc. What is my best bet for obtaining such?
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , GrayFox wrote:
I need some wood that is about 18/4 thick, different varieties like oak,
walnut, cherry, etc. What is my best bet for obtaining such?

Find somebody in your area who has a WoodMizer, and have it custom-cut. It's
tough enough to find lumber dealers who stock 16/4 -- anything bigger than
that is going to be really hard to find off-the-shelf.

Contact WoodMizer customer service (www.woodmizer.com) and they can put you in
touch with owners of their mills.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"GrayFox" wrote in message
I need some wood that is about 18/4 thick, different varieties like oak,
walnut, cherry, etc. What is my best bet for obtaining such?

Direct from a lumber mill.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Wood that thick is very rare and probably difficult to dry properly.
Is is possible for you to glue-up several pieces into the desired
thickness?

Mike Brown

On Aug 24, 12:55 pm, GrayFox wrote:
I need some wood that is about 18/4 thick, different varieties like oak,
walnut, cherry, etc. What is my best bet for obtaining such?

Posted to rec.woodworking

GrayFox wrote:
I need some wood that is about 18/4 thick, different varieties like
oak, walnut, cherry, etc. What is my best bet for obtaining such?

Check your Yellow Pages for "Wood."

Any large city will have several suppliers, importers.

I'm in Houston and happened to wander around the warehouse of a company that
makes custom molding.

They had container loads of ebony, mahogany, walnut, everything else, each
"hunk" the size of a railroad tie and about 25' long. Plus loads of other
stuff. Joint was as big as an airplane hanger.

I was impressed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 19:55:27 GMT, GrayFox wrote:

I need some wood that is about 18/4 thick, different varieties like oak,
walnut, cherry, etc. What is my best bet for obtaining such?

Probably directly from the mill, if you can find it at all. Expect to
pay a premium for dry wood, it would take a lot of time, even to kiln
dry.

Probably the best and easiest way is to glue up several boards into a
thicker one.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote in message
GrayFox wrote:
I need some wood that is about 18/4 thick, different varieties like
oak, walnut, cherry, etc. What is my best bet for obtaining such?

Check your Yellow Pages for "Wood."

Any large city will have several suppliers, importers.

I'm in Houston and happened to wander around the warehouse of a company
that makes custom molding.

They had container loads of ebony, mahogany, walnut, everything else, each
"hunk" the size of a railroad tie and about 25' long. Plus loads of other
stuff. Joint was as big as an airplane hanger.

I was impressed.

Clark's Hardwood Lumber?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

Clark's Hardwood Lumber?

Or Detering, or Mason's Mill & Lumber Co.?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/08/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 24, 3:55 pm, GrayFox wrote:
I need some wood that is about 18/4 thick, different varieties like oak,
walnut, cherry, etc. What is my best bet for obtaining such?

I haven't been in Houston for a few years, but when I built cabinets
there, I occasionally frequented a lumber yard called The Hardwood
Lumber Yard on 5 and 1/2 street in the Heights. They had six or so
quonset huts filled with exotic wood. You might try to inquire there
for your needs.
Joe G

Posted to rec.woodworking

"GROVER" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 24, 3:55 pm, GrayFox wrote:
I need some wood that is about 18/4 thick, different varieties like oak,
walnut, cherry, etc. What is my best bet for obtaining such?

I haven't been in Houston for a few years, but when I built cabinets
there, I occasionally frequented a lumber yard called The Hardwood
Lumber Yard on 5 and 1/2 street in the Heights. They had six or so
quonset huts filled with exotic wood. You might try to inquire there
for your needs.
Joe G

That is Clarks Hardwood Lumber Co. and they are still there. It is a blast
to go exploring in the building to find all sorts of special wood.
Be prepared to part with dollars though. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote in message

Clark's Hardwood Lumber?

Or Detering, or Mason's Mill & Lumber Co.?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/08/07
KarlC@ (the obvious)

We're on for tonight?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote in message

Clark's Hardwood Lumber?

Or Detering, or Mason's Mill & Lumber Co.?

We're on for tonight?

Yep ... AAMOF, I was planning on going to Clark's this morning to pick up a
load of maple for kitchen drawers but we start framing on Monday and I still
don't have a dumpster/cutoff box set up so I need to get that done this
morning.

Just as well as I need a place to put the shop trash from the cabinets
before I'll have room for the maple.

Best laid plans ...

Is it your B'day today?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/08/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 25, 9:57 am, "Lowell Holmes" wrote:
"GROVER" wrote in message

oups.com... On Aug 24, 3:55 pm, GrayFox wrote:
I need some wood that is about 18/4 thick, different varieties like oak,
walnut, cherry, etc. What is my best bet for obtaining such?

I haven't been in Houston for a few years, but when I built cabinets
there, I occasionally frequented a lumber yard called The Hardwood
Lumber Yard on 5 and 1/2 street in the Heights. They had six or so
quonset huts filled with exotic wood. You might try to inquire there
for your needs.
Joe G

That is Clarks Hardwood Lumber Co. and they are still there. It is a blast
to go exploring in the building to find all sorts of special wood.
Be prepared to part with dollars though. :-)

Lowell,
You are right on the money. It was Clarks Lumber Yard in the Houston
Heights.I had forgotten the name. I see now they have a web site as
well. Thanks for tweeking my memory.
Joe G

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
news
"Leon" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote in message

Clark's Hardwood Lumber?

Or Detering, or Mason's Mill & Lumber Co.?

We're on for tonight?

Yep ... AAMOF, I was planning on going to Clark's this morning to pick up
a load of maple for kitchen drawers but we start framing on Monday and I
still don't have a dumpster/cutoff box set up so I need to get that done
this morning.

Just as well as I need a place to put the shop trash from the cabinets
before I'll have room for the maple.

Best laid plans ...

Is it your B'day today?

Bryan's today, mine is Monday.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 09:08:33 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

We're on for tonight?

In a thread entitled "Need thick wood"? G

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

We're on for tonight?

In a thread entitled "Need thick wood"? G

;~) LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

GrayFox wrote:
: I need some wood that is about 18/4 thick, different varieties like oak,
: walnut, cherry, etc. What is my best bet for obtaining such?

Pretty much no one kiln dries wood that thick, so you'll be looking
for either green wood you can air dry (for several years), glued-up
stock from thinner wood, or stuff that's already been air
dried.

You could look for a local sawmill nd see what they can do for you. Or look for
a turner's organization in your area, since turners use thick wood.

-- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

GrayFox wrote:
In article ,
(J T) wrote:

Fri, Aug 24, 2007, 7:55pm (EDT+4) From:
(GrayFox)
I need some wood that is about 18/4 thick, different varieties like oak,
walnut, cherry, etc. What is my best bet for obtaining such?

How much money you willing to put out?

Other than that minor detail, you left out a lott of other details.
Like how long, how wide, where you at, and so on. Of course you could
also say where you are, but if you've got lots of money to spend you can
afford the shipping anyway.

What'cha want to make?

Lengths have to be around 2' each.

Width, at least 18/4 wide, or multiples thereof.

I'm in Dallas, TX.

I'm making a project that requires 4" x 4" finished blanks.

And, I don't have LOTS of money!

Given the last, I'd strongly consider changing your design/process to
one of the following --

-- Glue up from matching stock. If done carefully, it's quite possible
the final glue lines will be virtually undetectable.

-- If that is just totally unacceptable for some reason, modify the
design to accept the dimensions obtainable from roughsawn 16/4 stock.
That you at least have a chance of finding at something less than the
price of pure unobtainium.

-- Build the 4x4 up from 1x stock mitered w/ splines or the 45-deg glue
joint if the block doesn't absolutely have to be solid (like very deep
turning). Except for the surface, nobody can tell what's inside,
anyway, so using all that solid material is a waste (again, unless it is
a deep turning).

-- In the same vein, if it isn't a turning, use a lesser wood for the
structure and a very nice quality veneer.

I suggest you look for someone advertising "turning blocks" to get the
size, but 2-ft may be a little long. Still probably best bet, however,
if absolutely must have solid stock of that dimension.

Bring bucks...

Posted to rec.woodworking

GrayFox wrote in news:jayww35-5C7401.10084326082007
@news.verizon.net:

Lengths have to be around 2' each.

Width, at least 18/4 wide, or multiples thereof.

I'm in Dallas, TX.

I'm making a project that requires 4" x 4" finished blanks.

And, I don't have LOTS of money!

What about a 6"x6" post? They'll be 5 1/4 - 5 1/2 inches on each side.
Usually people make things like this up from thinner woods due to cost...

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 10:54:06 -0500, dpb wrote:

-- Glue up from matching stock. If done carefully, it's quite possible
the final glue lines will be virtually undetectable.

There's also the lock miter, via a router table or shaper.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

B A R R Y wrote:
On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 10:54:06 -0500, dpb wrote:

-- Glue up from matching stock. If done carefully, it's quite possible
the final glue lines will be virtually undetectable.

There's also the lock miter, via a router table or shaper.

"...up from 1x stock mitered w/ splines or the 45-deg glue joint..."

was precisely what I had in mind...

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...