Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Need Thick Wood

GrayFox wrote:
In article ,
(J T) wrote:

Fri, Aug 24, 2007, 7:55pm (EDT+4) From:
(GrayFox)
I need some wood that is about 18/4 thick, different varieties like oak,
walnut, cherry, etc. What is my best bet for obtaining such?

How much money you willing to put out?

Other than that minor detail, you left out a lott of other details.
Like how long, how wide, where you at, and so on. Of course you could
also say where you are, but if you've got lots of money to spend you can
afford the shipping anyway.

What'cha want to make?

Lengths have to be around 2' each.

Width, at least 18/4 wide, or multiples thereof.

I'm in Dallas, TX.

I'm making a project that requires 4" x 4" finished blanks.

And, I don't have LOTS of money!

Given the last, I'd strongly consider changing your design/process to
one of the following --

-- Glue up from matching stock. If done carefully, it's quite possible
the final glue lines will be virtually undetectable.

-- If that is just totally unacceptable for some reason, modify the
design to accept the dimensions obtainable from roughsawn 16/4 stock.
That you at least have a chance of finding at something less than the
price of pure unobtainium.

-- Build the 4x4 up from 1x stock mitered w/ splines or the 45-deg glue
joint if the block doesn't absolutely have to be solid (like very deep
turning). Except for the surface, nobody can tell what's inside,
anyway, so using all that solid material is a waste (again, unless it is
a deep turning).

-- In the same vein, if it isn't a turning, use a lesser wood for the
structure and a very nice quality veneer.

I suggest you look for someone advertising "turning blocks" to get the
size, but 2-ft may be a little long. Still probably best bet, however,
if absolutely must have solid stock of that dimension.

Bring bucks...