Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default HIKING STICK

http://www.backpacking.net/makegear/hiking-staff/

JOAT
I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do
them.
- Picasso

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message
http://www.backpacking.net/makegear/hiking-staff/

JOAT
I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do
them.
- Picasso

You don't want all the crap on it. A simple wood pole with a leather grip
nailed to the top works perfectly fine. Honestly having hiked for years
with my walking stick, once I switched to hiking poles I rarely go back.
Hiking stick helps take the load off your knees and ankles for sure (plus
help you stabilize of course), but only on one side - the poles help both
feet. Anyway I don't want to get into a religious war over that, to each
his own and there is no right answer. But still if I was going to make one
out of hickory, I wouldnt put all that macramea crap all over it - it would
get snagged in branches, brush, get torn, frayed, water damaged, salt would
build up on it. The leather grip is nice because if it disintergrates over
time you simply replace it with another cheap piece of oxhide and used
leather shoe laces.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Eigenvector" wrote in
:

"J T" wrote in message
[...]

I bought a whistlecreek.com hiking stick made of sassafras at Mohonk
Mountain House a fwe years ago. It works wonderfully, and lasts a long
time, since I almost always forget tot take it along. But when I use it
it is great!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Han" wrote in message
"Eigenvector" wrote in
:

"J T" wrote in message
[...]

If you don't take it you won't get the benefit from it.

My hickory stick has about 500 miles on it, it took 150 miles for that cheap
varnish they slapped all over it to wear off enough for the stick to not get
slippery as the day goes on. Rough wood, it still has some bark on it,
cheap rubber cup on the end for grip. But like I said, when I'm on a
multi-day hike I take my poles instead - far more effective when you have a
full pack on. For day hikes, I'll use my hiking stick, its less unweildy,
and I only need it for stabilization really. I don't wear a pack on day
hikes, just a small purse that I picked up from a Swiss military surplus
retailer. It holds my lunch, rain gear, and emergency medkit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 18, 3:39 pm, (J T) wrote:

And, a purse? Me, I've got a few old gas mask bags I resewed the
straps on so I can carry one over my shoulder, but by no definition is
it a purse - the last use for one was to carry two pieces, magazines,
ammo, muffs, etc., to the range. You don't do things like that with
purses.

Jeez, man, you just don't know the right kind of women.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Aug 18, 3:39 pm, (J T) wrote:

And, a purse? Me, I've got a few old gas mask bags I resewed the
straps on so I can carry one over my shoulder, but by no definition is
it a purse - the last use for one was to carry two pieces, magazines,
ammo, muffs, etc., to the range. You don't do things like that with
purses.

Jeez, man, you just don't know the right kind of women.

I think you "guys" need to get out a little more, like out of the country
and experience other cultures. A purse isn't a leather bag made by a guy
named Gucci. It doesn't always hold tampons, a wallet, lipstick, and a few
dozen other things.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Eigenvector wrote:

I think you "guys" need to get out a little more, like out of the
country and experience other cultures. A purse isn't a leather bag
made by a guy named Gucci. It doesn't always hold tampons, a wallet,
lipstick, and a few dozen other things.

Do you mean "Fag Bags?"

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Eigenvector wrote:

I think you "guys" need to get out a little more, like out of the
country and experience other cultures. A purse isn't a leather bag
made by a guy named Gucci. It doesn't always hold tampons, a wallet,
lipstick, and a few dozen other things.

Do you mean "Fag Bags?"

I wouldn't know what that is.

So now the group here is questioning my masculinity? What the hell kind of
persecution is this anyway? **** you all.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Eigenvector" wrote in message

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Eigenvector wrote:

I think you "guys" need to get out a little more, like out of the
country and experience other cultures. A purse isn't a leather bag
made by a guy named Gucci. It doesn't always hold tampons, a wallet,
lipstick, and a few dozen other things.

Do you mean "Fag Bags?"

I wouldn't know what that is.

As all 'secret service' novel junkies know, a FAG bag is a 'Fast Action Gun'
bag, used to conceal an MP-5 or other piece of hardware in case your suit
jacket gaps open...

Cheap peel-n-stick floor tile doesn't stick Mike Home Repair 13 June 5th 07 05:31 AM
Hiking staffs tlc... Woodworking 7 April 8th 07 09:47 AM
Hiking Staffs Louis A Monaco Woodworking 13 December 26th 04 05:29 PM
Mortises and hiking in the dark Never Enough Money Woodworking 12 October 17th 04 08:58 PM