Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Does people like using film faced plywood for Cabinet Making ?

My US friend told me that he used film faced plywood for Cabinet
Making . Do a lot of US/EU/Canadian people like using film faced
plywood for Cabinet Making ?
I want to know more about this because I export film faced plywood. As
I know, people usually use film faced plywood as shuttering concrete
form .

---------------------------
Mason Pan

Blog:
http://www.plywood.cc/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Some People does like film, I went digital in the late nineties....and
never looked back

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mason Pan wrote:

| My US friend told me that he used film faced plywood for Cabinet
| Making . Do a lot of US/EU/Canadian people like using film faced
| plywood for Cabinet Making ?

| I want to know more about this because I export film faced plywood.
| As I know, people usually use film faced plywood as shuttering
| concrete form .

I use it for building machines and fixtures for woodworking machines -
but have used it much less than I would have liked because I have been
unable to buy full sheets and because what I have been able to buy is
too expensive.

If you can sell a high quality plywood with the film facing at a
reasonably low price, you should do well in the North American market.

In the EU, you will be competing with established Scandanavian
producers of extremely high quality product. To succeed in that market
you'll probably need to sell a still higher quality product at a lower
price - which may be difficult from half a world away.

Let me invite you to post a few small photos showing colors of facing
and a close-up of the edge of a 3/4" sheet on
news:alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking - you may get some useful
feedback.

I hope this is helpful.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
I use it for building machines and fixtures for woodworking machines -
but have used it much less than I would have liked because I have been
unable to buy full sheets and because what I have been able to buy is
too expensive.

What exactly is film faced plywood Morris? Could be my original comment
about it was completely wrong.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:
| "Morris Dovey" wrote in message
|| I use it for building machines and fixtures for woodworking
|| machines - but have used it much less than I would have liked
|| because I have been unable to buy full sheets and because what I
|| have been able to buy is too expensive.
|
| What exactly is film faced plywood Morris? Could be my original
| comment about it was completely wrong.

The stuff I've used is sold at Woodcraft Supply with a green phenolic
skin. Theirs is a high-quality baltic birch (I've never seen any
evidence of any kind of void in any of the layers) but they don't sell
full sheets. They seem to be pretty proud of it.

I know it's available elsewhere (but not in my neighborhood) and with
a variety of skin color options, but I can't afford to have a few
sheets shipped to me - I'd be pleased if Mason had a mid-American
distributor.

It's favored for wooden concrete forms because the face is smooth and
allows use of oily release agents without soaking the wood.

Incra usually shows their fixturing gizmos (like the UltraJig and
sliding table miter jig) with a red-skinned version of this same
stuff.

The phenolic seems to take paint (Krylon in my case) really well and,
because of the moisture barrier, lends itself to applications (like
CNC tooling) where dimensional stability is particularly important.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 21:33:10 -0700, Mason Pan
wrote:

My US friend told me that he used film faced plywood for Cabinet
Making . Do a lot of US/EU/Canadian people like using film faced
plywood for Cabinet Making ?
I want to know more about this because I export film faced plywood. As
I know, people usually use film faced plywood as shuttering concrete
form .

---------------------------
Mason Pan

Blog: http://www.plywood.cc/

Never heard of it. I've been woodworking for 45 years in the US and
have built many cabinets. Maybe there is another name for "film-faced
ply?"
Posted to rec.woodworking

Phisherman wrote:

| Never heard of it. I've been woodworking for 45 years in the US and
| have built many cabinets. Maybe there is another name for
| "film-faced ply?"

I don't know what other names it might have, but you can take a look
he http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3958

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
I don't know what other names it might have, but you can take a look
he http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3958

By the description on that page you've supplied, it looks like regular sheet
plywood with a phenolic resin impregnated into an outer ply.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Never heard of it. I've been woodworking for 45 years in the US and
have built many cabinets. Maybe there is another name for "film-faced
ply?"

finnform.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:
| "Morris Dovey" wrote in message
|| I don't know what other names it might have, but you can take a
|| look he http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3958
|
| By the description on that page you've supplied, it looks like
| regular sheet plywood with a phenolic resin impregnated into an
| outer ply.

Yep - although I'd sure like to convince the folks over at Menards
that's what "regular sheet plywood" is supposed to be like.

Interestingly, the 3/4" material I've bought actually _measured_
0.750".

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 10:18:12 -0400, "Upscale"
wrote:

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
I use it for building machines and fixtures for woodworking machines -
but have used it much less than I would have liked because I have been
unable to buy full sheets and because what I have been able to buy is
too expensive.

What exactly is film faced plywood Morris? Could be my original comment
about it was completely wrong.

Another common name for it is medium density overlay or MDO.

Paul

Posted to rec.woodworking

Paul Franklin wrote:

Another common name for it is medium density overlay or MDO.

The stuff Morris was talking about has phenolic faces. MDO has faces of
MDF.

Two different things.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 15:40:46 -0600, Chris Friesen
wrote:

Paul Franklin wrote:

Another common name for it is medium density overlay or MDO.

The stuff Morris was talking about has phenolic faces. MDO has faces of
MDF.

Two different things.

Chris

Not so. From one of about a zillion web hits:

The initials MDO and HDO refer to either Medium Density Overlay or
High Density Overlay. The overlay they’re talking about comes in the
form of a phenolic (heat activated) resin impregnated paper that is
laminated to the faces of a plywood panel during the manufacturing
process. Medium and High simply refer to the weight and thickness of
the paper panel face, but there are notable differences between these
two as well.

Originally MDO was created to satisfy the requirements of long lasting
Interstate Highway signs. It’s usually produced to rigid
specifications from very high grade materials and is supposed to last
almost indefinitely in extreme weather conditions with no checking and
with only a coating of paint (usually two-part epoxy) for protection.
The panel is composed of fir cores and centers with the overlay over
well-sanded knot-free faces. Nowadays, the faces are only fir, but in
the past thin veneers of luan were used. The reason for the luan
faces was to create an even smoother surface, which prevents the grain
of the fir from telegraphing its pattern through to the surface. The
same process is used for laminating fine-expensive wood veneer faces
like teak over fir plywood, but of course without the phenolic
overlay.

The surfaces of the MDO are waterproof, but stippled to readily accept
and retain paint. The overlay is impossible to separate from the
plywood, and if the edges are properly sealed the panel will last
practically forever.

Paul

Posted to rec.woodworking

Paul Franklin wrote:

Another common name for it is medium density overlay or MDO.

Not so. From one of about a zillion web hits:

From my own web hits, it seems there is some ambiguity. According to
these guys (as well as others), there is a distinction between MDO and
"film-faced plywood".

http://www.bizviet.net/tradeoffer_54135.html

Also, MDO seems to be more or less "regular" plywood, potentially with
voids in the interior layers. The phenolic-faced stuff that Woodcraft
sells (to which Morris referred) is more of a baltic-birch type product
with phenolic faces. This seems to be something similar:

http://www.fcpcusa.com/koskiform.htm

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Phisherman" wrote in message

Never heard of it. I've been woodworking for 45 years in the US and
have built many cabinets. Maybe there is another name for "film-faced
ply?"

A display house in our old building used a lot of it. Nice looking stuff in
the right application. It was sort of like paneling, but on a solid plywood
base. The outer skin has a woodgrain appearance, like paneling. I managed
to get a few good sized scraps. I'll have to look around to see if I have
any left to show you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 14, 11:25 am, "Morris Dovey" wrote:
Phisherman wrote:

| Never heard of it. I've been woodworking for 45 years in the US and
| have built many cabinets. Maybe there is another name for
| "film-faced ply?"

I don't know what other names it might have, but you can take a look
he http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3958

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USAhttp://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

I first heard of it as a vinyl film back around '96, I think it was,
with huge machines popping out nearly complete tables and chairs
coated with it. There are other kinds, specifically a polyester. It is
sold as plywood, but is also sold as film for larger scale door and
drawer and window and similar makers to use a decorative surface. It
is so thin that heat bonding gives a tighter radius than is ever
possible with vacuum bags and veneers.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Phisherman wrote:

| Never heard of it. I've been woodworking for 45 years in the US and
| have built many cabinets. Maybe there is another name for
| "film-faced ply?"

I don't know what other names it might have, but you can take a look
he http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3958

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USAhttp://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

I first heard of it as a vinyl film back around '96, I think it was,
with huge machines popping out nearly complete tables and chairs
coated with it. There are other kinds, specifically a polyester. It is
sold as plywood, but is also sold as film for larger scale door and
drawer and window and similar makers to use a decorative surface. It
is so thin that heat bonding gives a tighter radius than is ever
possible with vacuum bags and veneers.

Thank all of you !
I export film faced plywood .
Now , I know maybe nobody has used film faced plywood for cabinet
making .
What my friend has told me may be MDO or HDO , which is commonly used
for cabinet making .

Film faced plywood is a kind of plywood covered with film, which is
phenolic(or other glue) resin impregnated paper and different from MDO
or HDO . The MDO/HDO film is thicker and looks much better .
Film faced plywood also called shuttering plywood/shuttering concrete
form/concrete form . It's usually used for shuttering purpose .
Please refer to
http://www.plywood.cc/products/
http://www.plywood.cc/wp-content/upl...wood-brown.jpg

Anti-slip film faced plywood can also be used for floor of room,cars
and so on .
Refer to anti-slip film faced plywood at
http://www.plywood.cc/2007/08/16/ant...faced-plywood/
http://www.plywood.cc/wp-content/upl...ed-plywood.JPG

Thank you again !

Posted to rec.woodworking

Phisherman wrote:
| Never heard of it. I've been woodworking for 45 years in the US and
| have built many cabinets. Maybe there is another name for
| "film-faced ply?"
I don't know what other names it might have, but you can take a look
he http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3958
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USAhttp://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

I first heard of it as a vinyl film back around '96, I think it was,
with huge machines popping out nearly complete tables and chairs
coated with it. There are other kinds, specifically a polyester. It is
sold as plywood, but is also sold as film for larger scale door and
drawer and window and similar makers to use a decorative surface. It
is so thin that heat bonding gives a tighter radius than is ever
possible with vacuum bags and veneers.

Thank all of you !
I export film faced plywood .
Now , I know maybe nobody has used film faced plywood for cabinet
making .
What my friend has told me may be MDO or HDO , which is commonly used
for cabinet making .

Film faced plywood is a kind of plywood covered with film, which is
phenolic(or other glue) resin impregnated paper and different from MDO
or HDO . The MDO/HDO film is thicker and looks much better .
Film faced plywood also called shuttering plywood/shuttering concrete
form/concrete form . It's usually used for shuttering purpose .
Please refer to
http://www.plywood.cc/products/
http://www.plywood.cc/wp-content/upl...wood-brown.jpg

Anti-slip film faced plywood can also be used for floor of room,cars
and so on .
Refer to anti-slip film faced plywood at
http://www.plywood.cc/2007/08/16/ant...faced-plywood/
http://www.plywood.cc/wp-content/upl...ed-plywood.JPG

Thank you again !

G'day Mason,
Good on you for putting us all straight.
I learnt something.

regards
John
Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.plywood.cc/wp-content/upl...aced-plywood-b...

http://www.plywood.cc/2007/08/16/ant...lywoodwire-mes...
http://www.plywood.cc/wp-content/upl...lip-film-faced...

Thank you again !

G'day Mason,
Good on you for putting us all straight.
I learnt something.

regards
John

I'm very glad to share my knowledge with you .
You all have helped me a lot .
Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking