Wade Lippman

Default Miter Cuts on Oak faced plywood?

I am going to build a bookcase out of oak faced plywood, with oak trim.

The only place where the plywood edge will be exposed is where the sides
meet the top.
Is it possible to miter them at 45, so as to have no edge showing? Will the
veneer survive a 45 cut?

I suppose the alternatives are veneering the exposed edge, or using solid
oak for the top.
I have never veneered before; how foolproof is it?

Made In America

"Wade Lippman" wrote in message
I am going to build a bookcase out of oak faced plywood, with oak trim.

The only place where the plywood edge will be exposed is where the sides
meet the top.
Is it possible to miter them at 45, so as to have no edge showing? Will

the
veneer survive a 45 cut?

I suppose the alternatives are veneering the exposed edge, or using solid
oak for the top.
I have never veneered before; how foolproof is it?

I just recently did the same thing and the 45 worked for me. I did mess up
the first 45 because I used a rough blade and it chipped. Made a second cut
with a plywood blade and it went smooth, then I cut to size my lengths. the
45's look good and looks like real oak

As for the veneering.....I never tried it, but I could stay at a Holiday Inn
Express and then give it a try

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 15:34:21 GMT, "Wade Lippman"
wrote:

I am going to build a bookcase out of oak faced plywood, with oak trim.

The only place where the plywood edge will be exposed is where the sides
meet the top.
Is it possible to miter them at 45, so as to have no edge showing? Will the
veneer survive a 45 cut?

I suppose the alternatives are veneering the exposed edge, or using solid
oak for the top.
I have never veneered before; how foolproof is it?

Try "scoring" the cut with a razor knife, on the outermost point of
the miter. Use a square to do this, as you just want to cut the
veneer.
Use a framing square to "ride" the saw's shoe against, staying just a
"hair" beyond your "scored" cut line.
Dan G

Miter joints are ok, but they are difficult to perform cleanly.

It might be more normal to "edge band" the exposed plywood edges with a
glued on strip of real oak. The top can be made to overhang the carcase
sides and front this way.

--

Keep the whole world singing. . .
Dan G