Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ridgid Air Compressor Opinions?

Hi,

I have been looking for an air compressor for the garage & shop use
mostly to use with nail guns, (finish and brad) and general garage and
shop use. The local Grossman's Outlet has a stack of Ridgid OL50135W
twin stack tank-oil lube compressors with wheels for $169. These are
factory reconditioned units and carry a 30 day warranty. If any one
out there has one I would appreciate some feedback or opinions. I have
never gone with reconditioned tools so I am not sure if this is a good
deal or not.

This is the unit:

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/OIL-LUBR...R/EN/index.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have been looking for an air compressor for the garage & shop use
mostly to use with nail guns, (finish and brad) and general garage and
shop use.

Sorry I can't help you with the Ridgid in particular, but I've been
keeping half an eye out for a new compressor also, and here are some
others for comparison. The $170 seems pretty good for a 5-gal, 4.6cfm
compressor, and I've had good luck with other refurbed tools, but you
might be able to find a deal on a new one for not much more than
that. Or if you're willing to spend a hundred or couple more, you
might be able to find a good stationary one that would let you blow
lots of sawdust, run sanders and higher-cfm tools, etc. But if you
want it portable, you might even consider an even smaller one, which
would be fine for the nailers etc, but would slow you down for blowing
or some other tools. I currently only have a noisy little oil-free 1-
gal model, which works great for brad nailing/stapling, and I've even
used it with a framing nailer (works OK if you're not in a great
hurry, fires maybe 4 shots before the motor kicks in, at least 3 or 4
more work fine after that, but I didn't push it too hard).
Anyway, here are a couple oil-lubed, "small-to-mid-sized" compressors
I've been considering:
Makita 2.6gal, 3.3cfm, $153:
http://timberlinetools.com/Makita_MA...a%20mac700.htm

Makita 4.5gal, 4.2cfm, $245:
http://timberlinetools.com/Makita_MA...%20mac2400.htm

HF, 3.8cfm, $140 or less when on sale:

Grizzly 3 gal, 2.2cfm, $130:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0465

Grizzly 6.3gal, 4.0cfm, $170:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0467

I'd also check Amazon and Toolking for sales.

None of these are high-end, fancy name compressors, but if you're
looking for something small, inexpensive, and oil-lubed, they might be
worth comparing to the Ridgid. I'm sure someone here will disagree
with me on that, since I don't know anything about the Ridgid, but I
thought I'd share some other options for comparison.
Hope this helps,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 01:23:17 -0000, TrailRun wrote:

Hi,

I have been looking for an air compressor for the garage & shop use
mostly to use with nail guns, (finish and brad) and general garage and
shop use. The local Grossman's Outlet has a stack of Ridgid OL50135W
twin stack tank-oil lube compressors with wheels for $169. These are
factory reconditioned units and carry a 30 day warranty. If any one
out there has one I would appreciate some feedback or opinions. I have
never gone with reconditioned tools so I am not sure if this is a good
deal or not.

This is the unit:

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/OIL-LUBR...R/EN/index.htm

2 part question, so I'll just spout off about the 2nd part..
I've had very good results with reconditioned tools over the years..
Most have been returned for operator problems or it being the wrong gift, but
can't be sold as new..

IMHO, a reconditioned unit is going to get a little bit better quality control
than a new one... why test a new one, it's NEW..lol

Oh.. this is very dependant on whether the discount is enough to make it a good
deal and check for warranty info.. YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

TrailRun wrote:
Hi,

I have been looking for an air compressor for the garage & shop use
mostly to use with nail guns, (finish and brad) and general garage and
shop use. The local Grossman's Outlet has a stack of Ridgid OL50135W
twin stack tank-oil lube compressors with wheels for $169. These are
factory reconditioned units and carry a 30 day warranty. If any one
out there has one I would appreciate some feedback or opinions. I have
never gone with reconditioned tools so I am not sure if this is a good
deal or not.

This is the unit:

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/OIL-LUBR...R/EN/index.htm

Direct drive compressors are ok on a construction site, but in the
shop with you the noise is a bad nuisance. After living with two
different direct drive compressors for several years I got rid of them
and bought a belt drive, oil lube compressor and my ears thank me
every day.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

The large print giveth and the small
print taketh away.

Posted to rec.woodworking

All good information. I will have to do some thinking on this. Spend
the money now or save for that belt drive unit?

Thanks for the help.

Wayne

Posted to rec.woodworking

"TrailRun" wrote in message
ups.com...
All good information. I will have to do some thinking on this. Spend
the money now or save for that belt drive unit?

Thanks for the help.

Wayne

I originally had a belt drive unit, 240 V. Got rid of it because I couldn't
take it to job sites. After building my own home I had lots of people
wanting work done. I have to do it all by hand until I get a portable. I
just saw an Iron Horse 150 max PSI, 5.9 cfm @ 90 PSI for only $199, $169 on
the sale I missed by 2 days. But it goes on sale often, per the sales
clerk.