Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to make a bandsaw semi-mobile?

I have a 19" Grizzly bandsaw coming in tomorrow.
As it stands, the table height is exactly the same as my table saw so I can
put them next to each other and save much needed space, and they can act as
each other's outfeed table. (other then the obvious need to get the blades
precisely in line, any problem with that concept?

Ocassionally I will cut something really big (once a month?) where the
bandsaw column will get in the way of what I am cutting on the table saw; so
I would like to be able to move it; all 380 pounds of it. If I put a
mobility base on it it will be higher than the TS.

Any suggestions for making it semi-mobile that won't add height? I thought
about removing the wheels from my HTC base and bolting them directly to the
bandsaw base (is the metal even thick enough for that?), but that would mean
drilling a lot of fairly large holes in the bandsaw.
Someone suggested using a two wheel cart/dolly (you know what I mean, but
what are they called?), but it seems like a lot of weight for that. For me
I mean; I have a very heavy duty cart that should handle the weight. My son
is very strong and could probably move it by himself (on the cart of
course), but he will be away at school most of the year.

I suppose I could put a half inch of wood under the tablesaw to make it
equal to the bandsaw plus base, but that seems sloppy.

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Aug 2, 12:10 pm, "Toller" wrote:
[...]

Maybe check out, design and install some sort of retractable caster
system, a la Powermatic? As for the concept of both acting as the
others outfeed table, conceptually, it'll work. In actual practice
though, good luck with that. Bandsaw kerf and 10 inch circular kerf
are usually different. They'll close and open after the blade, also.
Functional redundancy is great and all that, but I suspect you'll find
more than just a blade alignment problem. Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

"tom" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 2, 12:10 pm, "Toller" wrote:
[...]

I can drop the TS blade easily enough to accomodate the BS; but yes, I
expect getting them perfectly even, level, etc. will be difficult.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Toller" wrote:
I have a 19" Grizzly bandsaw coming in tomorrow.

You can afford a new 19" bandsaw, but you won't spend ten bucks on the proper
breaker for the circuit ??? (news:alt.home.repair:1002270 earlier today)
Sheesh.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Any suggestions for making it semi-mobile that won't add height?

How about something like this?
http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3703
Might require a bit of modification to the BS base, but I'm sure it
could be done with a little creativity.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 19:10:35 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

[...]

I agree with the other posters that said this may not work out all
that well, but if you want to try, here's one way.

Fasten two fixed wheel castors to the *side* of the base so the wheels
touch or nearly touch the floor. On the opposite side fix a large eye
bolt a couple of inches off the floor. Make a T shaped lever out of
scrap with the long part of the T 4 or 5 feet long. Fix a couple more
castors to the side of the short part of the T and a hook arranged so
you can slip the hook into the eye, and then press down on the long
part of the T to lift one side of the base enough so the machine is
now riding on all the castors. Pull it where you want it. (Kind of
hard to describe, but you should be able to get the idea). If you
design the T shaped piece right, you'll have plenty of leverage to
lift that heavy beast the 1/2 inch or so you need for enough clearance
to move.

HTH,

Paul F.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 19:10:35 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

[...snip...]

Any suggestions for making it semi-mobile that won't add height? I thought
about removing the wheels from my HTC base and bolting them directly to the
bandsaw base (is the metal even thick enough for that?), but that would mean
drilling a lot of fairly large holes in the bandsaw.

[...snip...]

Get one of these for your tablesaw, one for the bandsaw.
Unfortunately, that's at least $350. But the cool factor is huge!:

http://www.ultimategarage.com/hoverpad.htm
Posted to rec.woodworking

You can build your own stands. I built mobile bases with retractable
wheels for my Radial Arm Saw, Band Saw and Planer (400 + Lbs). When
down off their wheels the working surfaces of the three tools is at
exactly the same height.

I have a workbench made out of two 8 ft. sections. The three mobile
tools roll into a space between the two work benches making a flat
surface about 19 ft. in length. My workshop is 22 ft wide. This setup
gives me almost 10 ft. on either side of the equipment as infeed and
outfeed.

With a mobile table and some roller stands I have resawn (spell ?),
ripped and surface planed timbers over 16 ft in length.