Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to make a bandsaw semi-mobile?

I have a 19" Grizzly bandsaw coming in tomorrow.
As it stands, the table height is exactly the same as my table saw so I can
put them next to each other and save much needed space, and they can act as
each other's outfeed table. (other then the obvious need to get the blades
precisely in line, any problem with that concept?

Ocassionally I will cut something really big (once a month?) where the
bandsaw column will get in the way of what I am cutting on the table saw; so
I would like to be able to move it; all 380 pounds of it. If I put a
mobility base on it it will be higher than the TS.

Any suggestions for making it semi-mobile that won't add height? I thought
about removing the wheels from my HTC base and bolting them directly to the
bandsaw base (is the metal even thick enough for that?), but that would mean
drilling a lot of fairly large holes in the bandsaw.
Someone suggested using a two wheel cart/dolly (you know what I mean, but
what are they called?), but it seems like a lot of weight for that. For me
I mean; I have a very heavy duty cart that should handle the weight. My son
is very strong and could probably move it by himself (on the cart of
course), but he will be away at school most of the year.

I suppose I could put a half inch of wood under the tablesaw to make it
equal to the bandsaw plus base, but that seems sloppy.