Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Slightly OT deck staining query

Greetings All,
I just put the second coat of Cabot's stain on our deck, and the look
is exactly what we wanted. Is there anything else in the way of a
sealer/topcoat that will extend the life of the stain as long as
possible. I do realize it needs to be refinished once in a while, but
I'd like to keep it looking fresh as long as possible.
Many thanks,Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 31, 7:00 pm, Mark wrote:
Greetings All,
I just put the second coat of Cabot's stain on our deck, and the look
is exactly what we wanted. Is there anything else in the way of a
sealer/topcoat that will extend the life of the stain as long as
possible. I do realize it needs to be refinished once in a while, but
I'd like to keep it looking fresh as long as possible.
Many thanks,Mark

Sealer/topcoat will wear off in about a year. Is the effort worth one
more year? Plus, when it comes time to strip that crap off in order
to restain the deck (like I am gonna have to do this fall) you will
have that nasty task ahead of you as well as restaining and re-
applying the topcoat.

Topcoats that actually leave a surface sheen (like a poly) are a big
mistake on a deck IMO.

Don't do it.

D'ohBoy

Posted to rec.woodworking

D'ohBoy wrote:
On Jul 31, 7:00 pm, Mark wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I'm convinced.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark" wrote in message
. net...
Greetings All,
I just put the second coat of Cabot's stain on our deck, and the look is
exactly what we wanted. Is there anything else in the way of a
sealer/topcoat that will extend the life of the stain as long as possible.
I do realize it needs to be refinished once in a while, but I'd like to
keep it looking fresh as long as possible.
Many thanks,Mark

If you have any issues with the Cabot's coming off to the least touch give
your dealer a call and ask for a rep to make an inspection. I didn't and
it's shame on me for being stupid. I had blamed the lack of adhesion on the
fact that I had applied Thompson's Water Seal about 5 years earlier. I then
realized that the stained areas which are protected from the weather and
light are not rubbing off. This is no slam on Cabot's - I used it on the
T1-11 siding on our house and garage without any problems. So, I still have
a hunch that it's the Thompson's causing me grief. But just in case you hae
an issue call them for some advice. My call was 2 years late and they
quickly blamed the Thompsons.

Deck staining/weatherproofing Remi Home Repair 3 May 15th 07 02:30 AM
Deck Staining ? Postal68 Home Repair 6 May 1st 07 09:35 PM
staining a deck in Canada George Woodworking 3 June 14th 06 04:16 PM
Staining a weathered wood deck Ray K Home Repair 3 May 30th 06 11:50 PM