Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Deck Staining ?

What's the best method for staining a pressure treated deck (10 x 24)?
It does have spindles on the railings.

Electric sprayer?

Roller & brush?

Pump sprayer ?

I also want to seal it for water (Thompsons, ect)

What are some recommendation?

Also should I stain and or water seal the under side?
Best methods for underneath?
Should I do the underside first or last or at all?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 30, 2:23 pm, "Postal68" wrote:
What's the best method for staining a pressure treated deck (10 x 24)?
It does have spindles on the railings.

Your deck is relatively small and guessing it's the only one you
have.

Electric sprayer?

Has to be rented I suppose. Not worth it for your one small deck.

Roller & brush?

That's what I would suggest.

Pump sprayer ?

I have heard that it works but am skeptical.

I also want to seal it for water (Thompsons, ect)

That stuff is OK but just OK. have read in other posts that it is a
waxy type finish which will come off on your clothes and such also
that it has to be replaced often.

What are some recommendation?

Also should I stain and or water seal the under side?
Best methods for underneath?
Should I do the underside first or last or at all?

you ask for a penetrating stain at the paint store. You can get it
tinted different colors. Apply by whatever means neccessary. use a
roller to get the stain on then then use a brush to even out and work
into the cracks. Most everyone ignores the underneath esp if it is
not visible. If you want to do it then that's your deck. If you want
more protection then spar varnish or exterior polyeruathane are used.
Take your business to a real paint store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 15:23:35 -0400, "Postal68"
wrote:

What's the best method for staining a pressure treated deck (10 x 24)?
It does have spindles on the railings.

Electric sprayer?

Roller & brush?

Brush

Pump sprayer ?

I also want to seal it for water (Thompsons, ect)

Don't use Thompsons.

What are some recommendation?

Cabot Decking stain.

Also should I stain and or water seal the under side?

Stain the underside. It will last a long time.

Best methods for underneath?

Brush.

Should I do the underside first or last or at all?

Doesn't matter. What does matter is that the deck is clean and dry.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
JB JB is offline

On Apr 30, 3:23 pm, "Postal68" wrote:
What's the best method for staining a pressure treated deck (10 x 24)?
It does have spindles on the railings.

Electric sprayer?

Roller & brush?

Pump sprayer ?

I also want to seal it for water (Thompsons, ect)

What are some recommendation?

Also should I stain and or water seal the under side?
Best methods for underneath?
Should I do the underside first or last or at all?

Thanks

I have a 12'x24' deck with PT boards. Every 3 yrs or so I re-finish
it with a Behr deck stain. I use the Behr deck wash with a stiff
brush on the end of a broom handle, wash down with jet nozzle from a
hose (NOT a power washer, which I found can damage the boards!), let
dry 24 hrs, then apply the stain with a 4" brush. Stay off for
another 24 hrs.

The advantage of a brush over a roller is that you can work the stain
into the side edges between boards...not really possible with a
roller. I attached the brush to a broom handle with some duct tape so
I'm not on my hands and knees. Its easier on my back!!

I once tried a deck sprayer. It got airborne and made a mess of the
house siding before I threw that away. Plus it looked abit gloppy on
the boards and I ended up using a brush anyway to smooth it out.

If this is a new deck, make sure you let the boards dry thoroughly for
a few weeks before staining. Boards off the rack at HD will often be
wet. I stained after building so staining underneath was not possible
(ground level deck).

--Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm guessing I should sand any rough areas(if any) and then give it a good
pressure washing before staining ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phisherman" wrote in message
Also should I stain and or water seal the under side?

Stain the underside. It will last a long time.

I have heard that sealing the bottom can actually lessen the life because it
traps water in the wood that would otherwise evaporate from the bottom. Any
opinions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..

I have heard that sealing the bottom can actually lessen the life because
it traps water in the wood that would otherwise evaporate from the bottom.
Any opinions?

Penofin oil says to do all side before you assemble the deck. In my case, I
did the underside as my deck is 8' off the ground and I have a patio under
it.