Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Deck painting/staining problem.

A customer wants their deck refinished. The deck boards have what
appears to be a semi-solid deck stain. The posts and spindles have what
appears to be a glossy polyurethane with stain. The product polyshades
comes to mind, stain and polyurethane mixed together. The posts and
spindles are not in that bad of shape, but there is some black from what
I can only guess is some kind of mold? I am worried that if I were to
try and apply some new finish to the posts and spindles that because of
the glossy surfaces that the finish will not adhere that well. With so
many spindles sanding them would drastically raise the price of the job.

I think the deck and railing would look best all one color. There are
primers that supposedly adhere to glossy surfaces, is this a perfect
place to use one? Do they work? Or must one bite the bullet and sand the
posts and spindles?

Thank you for any suggestions or help.
Posted to alt.home.repair
3G 3G is offline

"andy everett" wrote in message
|A customer wants their deck refinished. The deck boards have what
| appears to be a semi-solid deck stain. The posts and spindles have
what
| appears to be a glossy polyurethane with stain.

poly is not for outdoor use.
marine poly would be better.

The product polyshades
is crap.

| comes to mind, stain and polyurethane mixed together. The posts and
| spindles are not in that bad of shape, but there is some black from
what
| I can only guess is some kind of mold? I am worried that if I were to
| try and apply some new finish to the posts and spindles that because
of
| the glossy surfaces that the finish will not adhere that well. With so
| many spindles sanding them would drastically raise the price of the
job.

power wash with bleach solution to remove black spots.

| I think the deck and railing would look best all one color. There are
| primers that supposedly adhere to glossy surfaces, is this a perfect
| place to use one? Do they work? Or must one bite the bullet and sand
the
| posts and spindles?

sanding is preferred
"stain cover" primer can be put on glossy surfaces.

| Thank you for any suggestions or help.

power wash, sand, prime w/oil primer, lightly sand, restain with solid
stain.