Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Staining a freshly surface-planed deck.

What the best way (product & method) to stain recently planed PT deck
boards?

Our ten-year-old 600 sq ft deck on our Michigan house is built of PT
lumber. 2 years ago solid stain was improperly applied. Now it is
pealing, terribly. After experimenting with many methods to remove the
solid stain (long story), I decided to unscrew each board and run the
top side through my surface planer, removing up to one-eighth inch in
some cases. The boards look nice. But now, what is the best way to
stain it?

Considering that I may have removed some of the PT protection (I
don't know how deep it penetrates) what are some recommended ways to
prepare and stain these boards. I want to use a transparent stain, of
the same color as the previous solid stain.

Currently I have a quart of Behr "Oil Penetrating Stain" but it
says it washes up with water. That sounds like it is not truly a
oil-based stain. Perhaps there is a better product than Behr.

I have a very large garage, so I could prepare them indoors if that
would help.

Any suggestions?

Todd

Posted to rec.woodworking

having been a paint contractor for over 30 yrs.
I have a bit of experience with deck finishing
pressure treatment goes though the wood so no problems there
you would be well advised to stain all surfaces before install
you don't get a second chance there

I have two products we use in the northeast
1. California oil based deck stain ~~ its the best hands~ apply two coats
on top surface

2. Ben Moore deck stain ~~ they changed the formulation last year ,so not
sure how it is now , but was an excellent product in the past

no waterbased anything works well for a deck , period.
just doesn't hold up.

ed

ups.com...