Posted to rec.woodworking
Todd Todd is offline

Default Staining a freshly surface-planed deck.

What the best way (product & method) to stain recently planed PT deck
boards?

Our ten-year-old 600 sq ft deck on our Michigan house is built of PT
lumber. 2 years ago solid stain was improperly applied. Now it is
pealing, terribly. After experimenting with many methods to remove the
solid stain (long story), I decided to unscrew each board and run the
top side through my surface planer, removing up to one-eighth inch in
some cases. The boards look nice. But now, what is the best way to
stain it?

Considering that I may have removed some of the PT protection (I
don't know how deep it penetrates) what are some recommended ways to
prepare and stain these boards. I want to use a transparent stain, of
the same color as the previous solid stain.

Currently I have a quart of Behr "Oil Penetrating Stain" but it
says it washes up with water. That sounds like it is not truly a
oil-based stain. Perhaps there is a better product than Behr.

I have a very large garage, so I could prepare them indoors if that
would help.

Any suggestions?

Todd