Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark Mark is offline

Default Slightly OT deck staining query

D'ohBoy wrote:
On Jul 31, 7:00 pm, Mark wrote:

Greetings All,
I just put the second coat of Cabot's stain on our deck, and the look
is exactly what we wanted. Is there anything else in the way of a
sealer/topcoat that will extend the life of the stain as long as
possible. I do realize it needs to be refinished once in a while, but
I'd like to keep it looking fresh as long as possible.
Many thanks,Mark

Sealer/topcoat will wear off in about a year. Is the effort worth one
more year? Plus, when it comes time to strip that crap off in order
to restain the deck (like I am gonna have to do this fall) you will
have that nasty task ahead of you as well as restaining and re-
applying the topcoat.

Topcoats that actually leave a surface sheen (like a poly) are a big
mistake on a deck IMO.

Don't do it.

D'ohBoy

Thanks, I'm convinced.