Posted to rec.woodworking

Default cut a circle on a tablesaw?

Don't try this at home...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wxbzrf4z_...elated&search=

Posted to rec.woodworking

Don't try this at home...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wxbzrf4z_...elated&search=

Seems quicker and easier, and results in a better circle, to do the
same sort of thing on a bandsaw. Just my thoughts...
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

RayV wrote:
Don't try this at home...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wxbzrf4z_...elated&search=

This method worked for me about 15 years ago when I made a 4' dia table
out of red oak.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Don't try this at home...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wxbzrf4z_...elated&search=

I've done this from time to time --- It works fine.

It actually leaves a much cleaner edge than the bandsaw.

Joel

Posted to rec.woodworking

RayV wrote:
Don't try this at home...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wxbzrf4z_...elated&search=

Why?

That's a very old method that's been in many books and magazines.

Posted to rec.woodworking

RayV wrote:
Don't try this at home...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wxbzrf4z_...elated&search=

Whoops, after finally looking at this video, this is not the
same method that I used. My method involved a jig for positioning
the top with the proper radius from blade to pivot point. The blade is
only raised to about 1/8" and the top rotated for a full circle, then
the blade is raised another 1/8 or so and sooner or later you will
obtain a nicely cut circle that needs very little sanding, depending
on your TS blade. I believe I saw this method on a very early show of
"The New Yankee WS".
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Leuf wrote:

I couldn't get the other video to play all the way, I got as far as
him making an octagon. I'll assume he just kept knocking the corners
off until it was almost a circle.

Yep, that was basically it. Kinda fascinating in a morbid sort of way,
watching it wobble up and down on his cobbled-together pivot while he rotated
it past the spinning blade. I kept expecting one of the offcuts to fly back
and hit him...

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 18:43:42 GMT, Norvin
wrote:

RayV wrote:
Don't try this at home...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wxbzrf4z_...elated&search=

Whoops, after finally looking at this video, this is not the
same method that I used. My method involved a jig for positioning
the top with the proper radius from blade to pivot point. The blade is
only raised to about 1/8" and the top rotated for a full circle, then
the blade is raised another 1/8 or so and sooner or later you will
obtain a nicely cut circle that needs very little sanding, depending
on your TS blade. I believe I saw this method on a very early show of
"The New Yankee WS".

Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRwHiAUpMyU

Ah, if those old saws in the schools could talk, they'd say please
some fellow come take me to a nice quiet garage, put a sharp blade on
me and let me enjoy my golden years in peace.

I couldn't get the other video to play all the way, I got as far as
him making an octagon. I'll assume he just kept knocking the corners
off until it was almost a circle.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Jim is offline

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..
In article , Leuf
wrote:

I couldn't get the other video to play all the way, I got as far as
him making an octagon. I'll assume he just kept knocking the corners
off until it was almost a circle.

Yep, that was basically it. Kinda fascinating in a morbid sort of way,
watching it wobble up and down on his cobbled-together pivot while he
rotated
it past the spinning blade. I kept expecting one of the offcuts to fly
back
and hit him...

--
Regards,

For all we know, one of them did hit him. Yes, I remember seeing the show.
Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I couldn't get the other video to play all the way, I got as far as
him making an octagon. I'll assume he just kept knocking the corners
off until it was almost a circle.

Yep, that was basically it. Kinda fascinating in a morbid sort of way,
watching it wobble up and down on his cobbled-together pivot while he
rotated
it past the spinning blade. I kept expecting one of the offcuts to fly
back
and hit him...

--
Regards,

For all we know, one of them did hit him. Yes, I remember seeing the show.
Jim

Can you imagine a 4' square of red oak and you get a bind, WOW.......

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Jim is offline

wrote:

I couldn't get the other video to play all the way, I got as far as
him making an octagon. I'll assume he just kept knocking the corners
off until it was almost a circle.

Yep, that was basically it. Kinda fascinating in a morbid sort of way,
watching it wobble up and down on his cobbled-together pivot while he
rotated
it past the spinning blade. I kept expecting one of the offcuts to fly
back
and hit him...

--
Regards,

For all we know, one of them did hit him. Yes, I remember seeing the
show.
Jim

Can you imagine a 4' square of red oak and you get a bind, WOW.......

As I recall, he cut it down to rough size before using that jig. I would
not want to get hit with a board that big...
Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 30, 10:37 am, Andy wrote:
Don't try this at home...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wxbzrf4z_...elated&search=

Seems quicker and easier, and results in a better circle, to do the
same sort of thing on a bandsaw. Just my thoughts...
Andy

This technique was probably used by Sister Tabatha, the Shaker who is
credited with the first table saw.
Joe G

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 30, 11:01 pm, "Jim" wrote:
"Norvin" wrote in message

Jim wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
t...

In article , Leuf
wrote:

[...]

I'd take it to within 1/8" with a saber saw first. I'd also use a
larger pivot,
maybe a #10 round head screw driven through the circle blank.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Why not. Very normal method.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"RayV" wrote in message
ups.com...
Don't try this at home...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wxbzrf4z_...elated&search=

How do I cut a 6" circle out? Toller Woodworking 15 January 29th 07 10:44 PM
6" Circle Don Dando Woodworking 2 January 29th 07 07:46 PM
Which Circle Shear? Too_Many_Tools Woodturning 5 July 6th 06 04:26 AM
Circle cutting jig for bandsaw? James T. Kirby Woodworking 6 June 27th 05 05:32 PM
how do I cut a 6-1/4" hole (not circle) [email protected] Woodworking 16 December 10th 04 08:38 AM