Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Which Circle Shear?

I am looking for a circle shear to support the Karle metal spinning
lathe (12" swing) that I have.

Since both the lathe and shear will be used infrequently, I am looking
for one that is easily stored.

What brand and model would you recommend?

Thanks

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.crafts.metalworking

I do not know of any compact circle shears, but:

Why not use the lathe itself to cut your circles? Large plywood circle on a
faceplate and a large diameter disk on the tailstock live center. Use a
high speed steel cutter carefully. Not much to store.

Charles Friedman DDS
Sometime metal-spinner
Ventura by the Sea

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking for a circle shear to support the Karle metal spinning
lathe (12" swing) that I have.

Since both the lathe and shear will be used infrequently, I am looking
for one that is easily stored.

What brand and model would you recommend?

Thanks

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.crafts.metalworking

TMT;
Before I located my Niagara circle shear, I used a variety of different
shears - all rather compact and nothing too expensive. Any of the following
will work:
Harbor Freight 12" straight shear with about a 3 foot handle (similar to a
Beverly - around $100)
"The Marshalltown" #18 Lennox Rotary shear (antique - a little hard to
find; but good)
Air or electric power nibbler (these are fine for aluminum and copper -
$20-$40)
Air or electric power shears (there are two types of these - one cuts a 1/8"
wide swath and the other shears off the metal - $20 -$40)

HF sells a small ratchet type rotary shear that might fit your needs. I
have seen it; but not used it.

Considering the metal thickness limitation on a Karle Spinning Lathe
(usually 1/2 hp motors and single belts), any of the above will work nicely.
Jim

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking for a circle shear to support the Karle metal spinning
lathe (12" swing) that I have.

Since both the lathe and shear will be used infrequently, I am looking
for one that is easily stored.

What brand and model would you recommend?

Thanks

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.crafts.metalworking

Harbor Freight has their power shear on sale for $30. I have one, and
it is one of the most used tools in my shop. Rated to 18 ga mild steel.

You would need a compass or trammel points to mark the circle on the
metal, and then cut to the line.

The power shears that cut a 1/8 inch wide kerf have three blades, but
will not turn a tight radius, mine is limited to 6 inch radius. The
other style, sometimes called throatless, with two blades, will usually
cut a radius down to 1 inch or so. If you are going to spin smaller
pieces, such as 9 inch diameter, you need the throatless shears.

A Beverly is a nice tool, but it takes up space in your shop. The power
shears can go in a drawer.

More info on shears below.

Richard

Hand-held Power Metal Shears
Comparison of different styles

What is a Hand-Held Powered Metal Shear? These are portable power tools
running on electricity or compressed air. They have a reciprocating
blade that cuts sheet metal. Most of these units have a rated capacity
of 18 ga mild steel (0.040 inch or 1 mm thick). The price generally
ranges from $30 to $300 US.

Why would you want to use one? They cut accurately and rapidly along a
marked line These are much less expensive than plasma cutters and do not
generate sparks. The cut edge only needs to be deburred to be finished.
Since they are a power tool, they are easier on your hand than manual
snips. They are faster and easier to use than a saber saw or
reciprocating saw. They are much smaller and cheaper than a foot
operated shear. They are probably most comparable to a Beverly type
shear, but Beverly shears are hand operated and bench mounted. I was
first exposed to these shears in a sculpture class that I took in
Mexico. I used one every day in class, and bought one as soon as I got
home.

There are two types of these shears, the three blade type, and the two
blade type, sometimes called throatless.

The three blade type has two fixed blades, with a reciprocating blade in
the center. Most of the power shears on the market are this style, and
virtually all the air powered shears are three bladed. The
reciprocating blade cuts out a strip of metal about 1/4 inch (6 mm)
wide, which curls up as you advance the tool. This style is
particularly good at cutting large panels in two parts. It does not
distort the panel, the distortion ends up in the strip instead.
However, these units do waste some material (the width of the strip),
and cannot cut a tight curve (less than 6 inch radius). I usually use
mine to cut straight lines, and find it somewhat difficult to use to cut
curved lines. I use a Kett model KD200 shear of this type. This is a
good unit, although relatively expensive, around $150. Don't waste your
money on the nibbler attachment, it is very difficult to change from the
shear to the nibbler.

The two blade or throatless type has one fixed blade and one
reciprocating blade. One side of the cut line is pushed up, and the
other is pushed down. This type does not waste any material, since it
does not produce a kerf strip. It will also cut relatively tight
curves, down to 1" or 1.5" (25 to 35 mm) radius. However, it does
distort the panels being cut. When used to cut large panels in half,
the weight of the panel and the distortion can make it troublesome to
advance and control. Sometimes, to facilitate more accurate cuts and to
minimize panel distortion, it can be advantageous to rough cut the panel
about 1/4 inch (6 mm) outside the cut line, and then go back and cut
along the final cut line. This was the style of shear that I used in
Mexico, I think it was an old Porter-Cable unit. I own a Harbor Freight
shear of this type, $40, cheap and effective, but I had to do some
shimming to get the cutting blades parallel. Makita, Milwaukee, and
Hitachi offer this type of shear for $200 on up, capable of 16 ga steel,
and are surely much better made than my Harbor Freight tool

Another hand power tool that can be used to cut sheet metal is a
nibbler. My air nibbler takes little "bites" out of sheet metal,
generating hundreds of sharp shards of steel in the shape of a new moon.
It cuts out a kerf about 1/4" (6 mm) wide. It can cut tight corners,
but is hard to keep going in a straight line. The cut edge is generally
very rough. I understand that some nibblers do not generate the sharp
shards, instead wadding up a strip of crumpled metal. Good for cutting
narrow slots and holes or odd shapes in sheet metal, rather than cutting
a piece in half. My air nibbler is made by Central Pneumatic, $50 from
Enco.

Each unit has it's place, which is why I have one of each type. I use
the throatless shear more than the other two put together, but your
millage may vary. I hope that you find this useful in terms of choosing
what kind of metal shear to purchase.

Richard Ferguson
October 13, 2004

--