Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.crafts.metalworking
James Riser James Riser is offline

Default Which Circle Shear?

TMT;
Before I located my Niagara circle shear, I used a variety of different
shears - all rather compact and nothing too expensive. Any of the following
will work:
Harbor Freight 12" straight shear with about a 3 foot handle (similar to a
Beverly - around $100)
"The Marshalltown" #18 Lennox Rotary shear (antique - a little hard to
find; but good)
Air or electric power nibbler (these are fine for aluminum and copper -
$20-$40)
Air or electric power shears (there are two types of these - one cuts a 1/8"
wide swath and the other shears off the metal - $20 -$40)

HF sells a small ratchet type rotary shear that might fit your needs. I
have seen it; but not used it.

Considering the metal thickness limitation on a Karle Spinning Lathe
(usually 1/2 hp motors and single belts), any of the above will work nicely.
Jim

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking for a circle shear to support the Karle metal spinning
lathe (12" swing) that I have.

Since both the lathe and shear will be used infrequently, I am looking
for one that is easily stored.

What brand and model would you recommend?

Thanks

TMT