James T. Kirby

Default Circle cutting jig for bandsaw?

Anyone have some nice shots of a circle cutting jig built for a 14" Delta-style
bandsaw?
(the type that extends off the side of the bandsaw's table).
We are needing to cut circles with 2' to 4' diameters out of some as yet
unspecified sheet stock.

These are going to be used as markers to ground truth the field of view
geometry for an array of
beach monitoring cameras. Big setup, with 7 cameras and a continuous mosaic
view of about 4
km of beach for each of two monitored sites. Lot's of surveying.

Thanks,

Jim Kirby

--
James T. Kirby
Center for Applied Coastal Research

phone: 302-831-2438
fax: 302-831-1228
email:
http://chinacat.coastal.udel.edu/~kirby

George

"James T. Kirby" wrote in message
Anyone have some nice shots of a circle cutting jig built for a 14"

Delta-style
bandsaw?
(the type that extends off the side of the bandsaw's table).
We are needing to cut circles with 2' to 4' diameters out of some as yet
unspecified sheet stock.

These are going to be used as markers to ground truth the field of view
geometry for an array of
beach monitoring cameras. Big setup, with 7 cameras and a continuous

mosaic
view of about 4
km of beach for each of two monitored sites. Lot's of surveying.

I'll try a pic of mine on ABPW. Warning, it's _very_ sophisticated.

Else, Duginskie.

Swingman

"James T. Kirby" wrote in message
Anyone have some nice shots of a circle cutting jig built for a 14"

Delta-style
bandsaw?
(the type that extends off the side of the bandsaw's table).
We are needing to cut circles with 2' to 4' diameters out of some as yet
unspecified sheet stock.

These are going to be used as markers to ground truth the field of view
geometry for an array of
beach monitoring cameras. Big setup, with 7 cameras and a continuous

mosaic
view of about 4
km of beach for each of two monitored sites. Lot's of surveying.

Thanks,

Jim Kirby

A trammel and a router is another option for that size circle, and often
results in a cleaner cut, IME.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/05

Swingman wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info everyone. I may go the trammel and router route -
that
didn't come to mind right away for some reason.

Kirby

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:19:31 -0400, "James T. Kirby"
wrote:

Anyone have some nice shots of a circle cutting jig built for a 14" Delta-style
bandsaw?

No, because I don't have a nice camera.

You have two problems - sawing a circle, and sawing a tangent to this
circle so as to start the cut.

If you're clever, you can make a sliding jig where the guide pin slides
up to a stop adjacent to the blade, so that you can do the tangent start
thing.

If you're lazy, like wot I am, then you'll just nail a piece of thin
ply/MDF to the bandsaw table with a pin sticking up from it. Then drill
the pinholes in your stock at the right distance from the edge for
starting. Make a new jig for each size.

Or just buy your markers from the "picnic plates" aisle at Quickie-Mart

James T. Kirby

Andy Dingley wrote:

Or just buy your markers from the "picnic plates" aisle at Quickie-Mart

That would be nice. These are going to be 3-4 feet in diameter - hard to see
them from 1-2 km away.
I think the router and trammel suggestion is it.

JK

--
James T. Kirby
Center for Applied Coastal Research
University of Delaware
Newark, DE 19716

phone: 302-831-2438
fax: 302-831-1228
email:
http://chinacat.coastal.udel.edu/~kirby

Happiness: cheapie jigsaw, metal-cutting blade, 2mm ali sheet, neat30cm circle! Stefek Zaba UK diy 6 May 1st 05 10:50 PM
cutting board John Grossbohlin Woodworking 12 September 24th 04 12:12 AM
welding, cutting jim Metalworking 5 January 31st 04 02:31 AM
Bandsaw Circle Cutting Jig: Anybody know the mag/issue of Mark Duginske'sarticle? Joe Comunale Woodworking 2 August 21st 03 02:32 AM