Posted to rec.woodworking

Default stair stringer - splicing'

Hi all.
I have a stair stringer that is about 3.3m long x 10" wide.
If I was to buy say 3 pices of 2m x 1" lengths of a hardwood eg oak or
beech.
Can they be spliced together to form a 2" thick x 3.3m stringer?

Thanks.

Arthur

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 22:03:48 +0100, "Arthur2"
wrote:

Hi all.
I have a stair stringer that is about 3.3m long x 10" wide.
If I was to buy say 3 pices of 2m x 1" lengths of a hardwood eg oak or
beech.
Can they be spliced together to form a 2" thick x 3.3m stringer?

Why?

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Hi all.
I have a stair stringer that is about 3.3m long x 10" wide.
If I was to buy say 3 pices of 2m x 1" lengths of a hardwood eg oak or
beech.
Can they be spliced together to form a 2" thick x 3.3m stringer?

Why?

I might get lucky and source 3 shorter pieces cheaply and avoid calling Trav
& Perks and pay a fortune
for a piece of 3.3m long x 10" x 32mm.

Arthur

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 22:35:05 +0100, "Arthur2"
wrote:

I might get lucky and source 3 shorter pieces cheaply and avoid calling Trav
& Perks and pay a fortune
for a piece of 3.3m long x 10" x 32mm.

1.) Your staircase will end up 2" narrower.

2.) The joint(s) will be visible.

If both are worth the savings, go for it! Since the stringers are
often attached to walls, I'm sure the laminations will be strong
enough.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 20, 4:03 pm, "Arthur2" wrote:
Hi all.
I have a stair stringer that is about 3.3m long x 10" wide.
If I was to buy say 3 pices of 2m x 1" lengths of a hardwood eg oak or
beech.
Can they be spliced together to form a 2" thick x 3.3m stringer?

Thanks.

Arthur

Your mixing of English and Metric units is messing with my head. I
can think in either, but translation is a pain.

Assuming you are talking about end-to-end butt joints instead of scarf
joints, the resulting stringer would only be half as strong in the
area of the joints as a solid member.
If you want to go that route, I think you should buy at least 4 pieces
so you can make the stringer 3" thick to strengthen the joints. You
would probably not save any money that way though.

DonkeyHody
"In theory, theory and practice are the same, but in practice they are
not."

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Arthur2" wrote in message
Hi all.
I have a stair stringer that is about 3.3m long x 10" wide.
If I was to buy say 3 pices of 2m x 1" lengths of a hardwood eg oak or
beech.
Can they be spliced together to form a 2" thick x 3.3m stringer?

Thanks.

Arthur

I think your messing with us. If you are in the U.S., it's known as 1X10 or
2X10. A board has three dimensions and I can't determine the third dimension
on your description.

I do work in either system as required, so I understand metric. Sometimes,
we show both dimensions in both systems.

Oak is not an expensive wood here. It also is not very desirable in many
cases. Cherry, maple, or walnut get's my attention.

Quarter-sawn white oak is expensive and is desirable in many cases. Some of
it is just plain ugly though.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DonkeyHody" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I am seeing the joins like this.
top down view.
aaaaaaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbaaaaa aaaaaaaaa
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaa

If the pieces are put thru a thicknesser so they are all perfectly flat I
think by using
a cascamite type glue on the whole joining areas, it would be strong enough.

I would use a base rail to cover the long joins. And then a bit of
creativity to conceal
the joins on the exposed side of the string.

Well would you be happier with this solution or the set of stairs being sold
on ebay
where the stringer is 27mm whitewood with 22m mdf treads?

Arthur

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default stair stringer - METRIC splicing'

Hi all.
I have a stair stringer that is about 3.3m long x 25cm wide.
If I was to buy say 3 pieces of 2m x 2.5cm lengths of a hardwood eg oak or
beech.
Can they be spliced together to form a 50mm thick x 3.3m stringer?

Sorry for confusing some..

Arthur in the UK.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Jim is offline

"Arthur2" wrote in message
Hi all.
I have a stair stringer that is about 3.3m long x 25cm wide.
If I was to buy say 3 pieces of 2m x 2.5cm lengths of a hardwood eg oak
or
beech.
Can they be spliced together to form a 50mm thick x 3.3m stringer?

Sorry for confusing some..

Arthur in the UK.

You are still posting two dimensions for a three dimensional object. My
answer would be "yes if the third
dimension is about 200 mm."

Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Arthur2" wrote:
Hi all.
I have a stair stringer that is about 3.3m long x 10" wide.
If I was to buy say 3 pices of 2m x 1" lengths of a hardwood eg oak or
beech.
Can they be spliced together to form a 2" thick x 3.3m stringer?

No, they cannot.

No matter how you splice them, you can't possibly make a double-thickness
lamination any longer than 3 meters from 3 pieces only 2 meters long.

If you want a total length of 3.3 meters, you need three pieces averaging at
least 2.2 meters long.

If you do *that*, and splice them together like so
AAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCAAAAAAAA
then you'll be fine.

--
Regards,

Stringer for stairs Arthur 51 UK diy 1 July 4th 07 04:31 PM
Splicing RG6/QS [email protected] Home Repair 2 August 29th 06 08:13 PM
precut stair stringer question Mark Fitzgerald Home Repair 5 May 3rd 05 10:19 PM
BOCA question... minimum stair tread width for open stringer straightstair? Slumlord Home Repair 8 March 9th 05 10:47 PM
Adding a 3rd stringer to deck stairs Jim Woodworking 7 September 4th 03 11:55 PM