Jim

Default Adding a 3rd stringer to deck stairs

We had a PT deck, with steps leading from the lower level
(basement/ground) to the upper deck (1st floor). The steps were 3'
wide, and we had a series of 2, 2x6 on each riser, for a total of 11
risers. We had two stringers for the steps.

We had the PT flooring on our deck replaced with TimberTech. On our
steps, we used 5/4" planks. The 5/4" planks have a 16" spam
requirement, which means we now need to add a 3rd stringer in the
center of our steps. Unfrotunately, the steps were put up before we
realized the spam requirement.

Is it possible to add a 3rd stringer (down the middle) of 2x12 without
taking off the steps?

If yes (or even if no), what is the easiest way to make another
stringer to match the current two?

THANKS in Advance...

-- Jim
JackD

"Jim" wrote in message
om...
We had a PT deck, with steps leading from the lower level
(basement/ground) to the upper deck (1st floor). The steps were 3'
wide, and we had a series of 2, 2x6 on each riser, for a total of 11
risers. We had two stringers for the steps.

We had the PT flooring on our deck replaced with TimberTech. On our
steps, we used 5/4" planks. The 5/4" planks have a 16" spam
requirement, which means we now need to add a 3rd stringer in the
center of our steps. Unfrotunately, the steps were put up before we
realized the spam requirement.

Is it possible to add a 3rd stringer (down the middle) of 2x12 without
taking off the steps?

Yes. If there is room to get in there. You need to consider how you support
it at the bottom and how it attaches at the top. If you can figure that out
then it should be no problem to fit a new one. If you "had it replaced" then
it seems that the problem lies with the person who did the replacement. They
should have noticed this at the time. Depending on the deal you had with
them, I'd consider having them come out and pull the planks off and then add
the stringer. They would have to be pretty clueless to put that stuff down
with a 3 foot span. You would notice a problem after you installed the first
board.

If yes (or even if no), what is the easiest way to make another
stringer to match the current two?

Get some cardboard. Fit a square into each angle formed by each step.
Tack them on to the existing stringer.
Tape them together.
Cut along the bottom of the stringer.
Untack.
Place on new 2x12.
Mark
Cut.

THANKS in Advance...

-- Jim

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 13:54:42 -0700, someone wrote:

Get some cardboard. Fit a square into each angle formed by each step.
Tack them on to the existing stringer.
Tape them together.

All that cardbpard and taping is more trouble than it will help, IMHO,
and asking for error to creep in what with that taping together and
then having to take the taped together mess to the new work piece.
That much length of taped together cardboard will be quite flexible
even across the flat way that you are depending upon being rigid.

Its "just" a matter of measuring and laying out. And yes, I used to
be the layout man guiding a crew of union carpenters on complex
framing jobs. BTW, don't be too obsessed with following every minor
inaccuracy in the existing steps; layout the new stringer "right"
based on the rise & run, and then fit it, there sounds like there is
enough flex to take up the minor eighths that are probably floating
around in the job.

Stairs are not rocket science, they are rise & run, I have detailed
both wood and steel stairs for the shop to have the pieces pre-cut and
then put together on site.

MHO,
-v.
D. Gerasimatos

In article ,
v wrote:

[snip!]

Its "just" a matter of measuring and laying out. And yes, I used to
be the layout man guiding a crew of union carpenters on complex
framing jobs.

What haven't you done? Did you used to shoot photos for Playboy, too?

Dimitri

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 23:40:04 +0000 (UTC), someone wrote:

Its "just" a matter of measuring and laying out. And yes, I used to
be the layout man guiding a crew of union carpenters on complex
framing jobs.

I have a tendency to own businesses. What can I say. At one point I
ended up starting a commercial framing company. I had done the
drawings for a project, and then a major sub went belly up, and the GC
was calling around looking for someone to do the job on short notice,
and that's how I ended up framing for a while....

What haven't you done? Did you used to shoot photos for Playboy, too?

Welllll actually.... not in Playboy, but yeah I have done stuff like
that, Nikon F & did my own color printing, how did you know....

;-)

-v.

RM MS

"If yes (or even if no), what is the easiest way to make another
stringer to match the current two?

==============
Now, kids, he DID say EASIEST, not "Most Proper", right? OK then.

Easiest: trace a template from the edge of the existing stairs, being
sure to include the edges of treads on the drawing. Cut it out like
paper dollies and lay it on the new stringer stock. Now just gnaw it
out, Bucky.

RM MS

Default Adding a 3rd stringer to deck stairs(to viverid)

Had I felt he was comfortable with measuring, I'd told him the same
thing, but since he was asking, I made another assumption. Absolutely it
will be better to lay out the job, and any mismatch will be easily
compensated with the flex in the comosite treads.
The cardboard templates will be better if they are not cut out until
stapled to the new board, even then, one good edge wll be enough to keep
them lined up.

Morgans

"Igor" wrote in message
On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 22:47:03 -0400, "Morgans" wrote:

Very amateur looking, from a journeyman carpenter's view. I doubt that

it
would pass inspection, if it was getting inspection.

You do realize they are talking about a muddle stringer, don't you?

Isn't that a group in the Harry Potter books? The Muddle Stringers?

Unbelievable. You mean muddle is a word? I would have thought spell check
would have got that.

I do proof read, but they still slip by once in a while. :-)

Try middle, instead of muddle!

--
Jim in NC