Posted to rec.woodworking
DonkeyHody DonkeyHody is offline

Default stair stringer - splicing'

On Jul 20, 4:03 pm, "Arthur2" wrote:
Hi all.
I have a stair stringer that is about 3.3m long x 10" wide.
If I was to buy say 3 pices of 2m x 1" lengths of a hardwood eg oak or
beech.
Can they be spliced together to form a 2" thick x 3.3m stringer?

Thanks.

Arthur

Your mixing of English and Metric units is messing with my head. I
can think in either, but translation is a pain.

Assuming you are talking about end-to-end butt joints instead of scarf
joints, the resulting stringer would only be half as strong in the
area of the joints as a solid member.
If you want to go that route, I think you should buy at least 4 pieces
so you can make the stringer 3" thick to strengthen the joints. You
would probably not save any money that way though.

DonkeyHody
"In theory, theory and practice are the same, but in practice they are
not."