Mark Fitzgerald

Default precut stair stringer question

I tried searching the archives, but didn't find anything, so figured I'd ask
here.

I have some precut stringers, and I've noticed that the routered slots for
the treads taper from about 1 3/8" in the rear to a 1" bullnose front. Can
anyone tell me why it's tapered? And also, how would I go about putting the
treads in? I assume they need to be wedged from underneath the tread
somehow? Thanks for any info!

I think they're designed to be used with prefab (tapered) treads. I
never thought about how to put the trads in, must be from behind.

Steve Manes

On Tue, 03 May 2005 01:14:38 GMT, "Mark Fitzgerald"
wrote:

I tried searching the archives, but didn't find anything, so figured I'd ask
here.

I have some precut stringers, and I've noticed that the routered slots for
the treads taper from about 1 3/8" in the rear to a 1" bullnose front. Can
anyone tell me why it's tapered?

They're intended for stair wedges, which are driven under the tread to
reduce squeaking.

Steve Manes
Brooklyn, NY
http://www.magpie.com/house
Harry K

wrote:

I tried searching the archives, but didn't find anything, so figured

I'd ask
here.

I have some precut stringers, and I've noticed that the routered

slots for
the treads taper from about 1 3/8" in the rear to a 1" bullnose

front. Can
anyone tell me why it's tapered?

They're intended for stair wedges, which are driven under the tread

reduce squeaking.

Steve Manes
Brooklyn, NY
http://www.magpie.com/house

Yes, spread with glue and then driven in.

Harry K

Mark Fitzgerald

They're intended for stair wedges, which are driven under the tread
reduce squeaking.

Steve Manes
Brooklyn, NY
http://www.magpie.com/house

Yes, spread with glue and then driven in.

I figured it was something like that. I'll have to see if they are
something that is readily available...thanks. I just wanted to make sure
that I was on the right track before I tried to find the stuff I needed.

Goedjn

I figured it was something like that. I'll have to see if they are
something that is readily available...thanks. I just wanted to make sure
that I was on the right track before I tried to find the stuff I needed.

A chunk of wooden shingle will work