Thomas Mitchell

Default Looking for a specialty router bit

I've checked out Whiteside, Rockler, Freud, Amana and haven't found the
bit I think I need. Maybe there's even another way of making the cut.

I'm making a cribbage board and want to build in a compartment for the
pegs. I'd like to make a hollow area and then put a t type slot to make
a cover that slides over the hollow. The T-slot bits I've been finding
are too large for my needs. Ideally I'd like to have something that the
horizontal part of the T is around 1/8" in height and the verticle part
is about 1/2" though I can always use a second bit to make the
verticle. I can't seem to find a bit or a means to make the 1/8" or
3/16" slot. Any ideas?

| |
| |
--- ---
| |
---------------

Thomas

Chris Carter

Lee Valley has a 1/8" slotting bit that may work for this situation
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...urrency=1&SID=
but typically I would try a dovetail bit and have the end result something
like this:

_____ _____
/________\ - Cover groove formed with a dovetail bit
| |
|______| - Storage area formed with a straight plunge bit

Cover slides in the shallow slot formed by the dovetail bit

Chris

"Thomas Mitchell" wrote in message
[...]

Mike in Mystic

I think you might have to laminate the bottom onto the board, after routing
a shallow dado in the location for the t-slot. You could form the hollow
first, and then accurately locate the dado for the t-slot, and then remove
the middle portion, leaving the two-shoulders you would need. You would
have good control over the dimensions this way, and I don't think you'll
find a router bit that will do this anyway.

Mike

--

There are no stupid questions.
There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

[...]

Igor

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:17:48 -0400, Thomas Mitchell
wrote:

[...]

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...utter%20Anchor
Thomas Mitchell

The problem with the finger joining bit idea is that it has a nut
extending from the shaft. I need the bottom to be flat with the bit.
I've seen these types of slots on several items, the only thing I can
think of right now though is a cribbage board, so there's got to be a
way to make the cut for the slot.

Upscale wrote:
A bit that thin, the only thing that I can think of is one of the fingers
from a finger joining router bit. With the example I've given you below, I'm
not ever sure that only a single finger can be used.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...urrency=1&SID=

"Thomas Mitchell" wrote in message

I'm making a cribbage board and want to build in a compartment for the
pegs. I'd like to make a hollow area and then put a t type slot to make
a cover that slides over the hollow. The T-slot bits I've been finding
are too large for my needs. Ideally I'd like to have something that the
horizontal part of the T is around 1/8" in height and the verticle part
is about 1/2" though I can always use a second bit to make the
verticle. I can't seem to find a bit or a means to make the 1/8" or
3/16" slot. Any ideas?

Igor

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 14:04:13 -0400, Thomas Mitchell
wrote:

Yep I was wondering if I'd have to go that route. I'd prefer a bit with
a little more bite, but I'll take a look to see what they have. I might
be able to use a keyhole bit. I'm looking at that option as Lee Valley
has a smaller keyhole bit than the other couple that I looked at. A
keyhole bit would work very well if I can find one in the right
dimensions. Lee Valley's should work, but I'll keep looking at other makes.

Thomas

Bob S. wrote:
Overlooked the obvious....heh ;-)

Well it will be when I tell you of a possible solution.......Dremel
accessories. You can get the 1/4" mandrel to fit your router collet and
then select from a number of possible options from
http://www.dremel.com/html/home_fr.html.

Worth a shot and it won't cost a lot to give it a try. Most Dremel
accessories are available at hobby stores, the borg's and just about
anyplace that sells tools.

Bob S.

Hey Thomas, above I posted a link to MLCS that has a T-slot bit w/ 1/8"
height. Is that what you wanted?
Frank K.

Think about a t-slot bit and grind down the end until it meets your 1/8"
requirement. When you grind it make a slight concave profile so it doesn't
burn.

Make it look like this =====|(.

[...]

Question about using a router PoP UK diy 6 January 5th 04 01:20 PM
Bosch 1617 Router combo Leon Woodworking 7 September 7th 03 07:32 PM
Making Trim? Bob S. Woodworking 0 September 5th 03 10:05 PM
need help! Router bit problem (i'm a total newbie) Woody Woodworking 11 August 28th 03 07:26 AM
Porter Cable 690 router mounted to TS extension, do I use plunge base or standard Montyhp Woodworking 3 July 24th 03 02:58 PM