Posted to rec.woodworking

Default question about Leigh D4 jig fingers

I'm trying to get set up to cut end on end dovetails with my Leigh D4
dovetail jig. I read the book on setup, then I re-read the book on setup.
Thought about it for a couple of hours, then re-re-read the book on setup.
I got the test stock prepared and set up the jig to cut the tails as it says
to do. I tightened the fingers pretty snug, but didn't want to overdo the
tightening. Ok, so I cut each end of the tail board. No problem. I flip
the jig over and line it up to cut the pin board. I cut one end of the pins
and take it over to see how the fit is with the tails. Not good. Irregular
spacing and sloppy. I go look at the jig, and a couple of the fingers had
vibrated slightly apart from one another. I checked the tightness of the
screws on the fingers and they seemed to still be tight. I can't feel any
slop in the fingers, they don't move or wobble. I'm worried about really
crankin down on the finger screws. Has anyone else had this problem? Any
suggestions?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Vern" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

The BEST advice I can offer (D4R owner) is to call them or send them an
e-mail. They have VERY good tech support (I know first hand).

Try Barry:

--
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Vern" wrote in message

crankin down on the finger screws. Has anyone else had this problem? Any
suggestions?

Only time I've had one move was when it was slammed because of a climb cut
and the router kicked back.

Re-read the sections on direction of cut and retry a test cut. Since that
happened I've been very carefull not to exert any more force than necessary
when routing/following the fingers ... easy does it.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

Posted to rec.woodworking
xcz xcz is offline

"Vern" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

Are the fingers set down firmly on the spacer block underneath? If they are
not sitting flush on the block on both ends, this might be the problem?
I havent had any problems with the fingers vibrating when they are set tight
on the horizontal spacer piece.

Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor
OnlineToolReviews.com
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Over 150+ free tool reviews online!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yes the fingers are flush. I think that the response from swingman may
offer the most input. I'm thinking about my technique, I may have been
pushing on the fingers too much. It's a little intimidating when you're
trying this for the first time with the honkin router screaming, trying to
keep it flat on the fingers and "gently" moving it between the fingers. I
may have been applying too much pressure on the fingers moving between them.
I think I need to go slower. MUCH slower, and try it again.
I very much appreciate the responses.
Vern

"xcz" wrote in message
u...

[...]