Posted to rec.woodworking
xcz xcz is offline

Default question about Leigh D4 jig fingers

"Vern" wrote in message
ink.net...
I'm trying to get set up to cut end on end dovetails with my Leigh D4
dovetail jig. I read the book on setup, then I re-read the book on setup.
Thought about it for a couple of hours, then re-re-read the book on setup.
I got the test stock prepared and set up the jig to cut the tails as it
says to do. I tightened the fingers pretty snug, but didn't want to
overdo the tightening. Ok, so I cut each end of the tail board. No
problem. I flip the jig over and line it up to cut the pin board. I cut
one end of the pins and take it over to see how the fit is with the tails.
Not good. Irregular spacing and sloppy. I go look at the jig, and a
couple of the fingers had vibrated slightly apart from one another. I
checked the tightness of the screws on the fingers and they seemed to
still be tight. I can't feel any slop in the fingers, they don't move or
wobble. I'm worried about really crankin down on the finger screws. Has
anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?

Are the fingers set down firmly on the spacer block underneath? If they are
not sitting flush on the block on both ends, this might be the problem?
I havent had any problems with the fingers vibrating when they are set tight
on the horizontal spacer piece.

Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor