PCProffitt

Default Gloat - maybe, and a question on Leigh D4

There was unfortunately a fire - somewhere. As a result an insurance
company sold a large block of water-damaged woodworking tools at salvage
prices (BTW everything's sold already). I was in the right place at the
right time and was able to acquire a Leigh D4 jig and the manual (a
little waterlogged though) for $41.00.

The down side is that any bits, collets or bushings there might have
been were separated so I don't have those. Also any adjustment tools or
addons are missing as well.

My questions:

Other wreck discussions mention that some vendors sell 'kits' of bits
for the D4. What's my best option to get a useful, if minimal, set of
bits, bushings and collets? Any specific manufacturer or size bits you
would recommend?

I will be using a Bosch 1619 plunge router probably. I have both half
and quarter inch collets, but sounds like I should get an 8mm sleeve and
use 8mm bits. True?

Do I need some special bushings for the D4 or will standard PC-type
bushings work? I have some PC-style bushings and the adapter for the
Bosch. I'll have to unstick the manual pages to read through it and
check that out unless some of you have some quicker answers.

Thanks
Teamcasa

"PCProffitt"
snip
I was in the right place at the right time and was able to acquire a Leigh
D4 jig and the manual (a little waterlogged though) for $41.00.

snip
What's my best option to get a useful, if minimal, set of bits, bushings
and collets? Any specific manufacturer or size bits you would recommend?

I purchased the Lee Valley kit (16J03.20) and was dissapointed. Sorry Robin.
I did not have the bits I needed for the projects I was working on.
I then purchased the Leigh kit 5116-8 from Leigh directly. Works Great.

I will be using a Bosch 1619 plunge router probably. I have both half and
quarter inch collets, but sounds like I should get an 8mm sleeve and use
8mm bits. True?

True
They are in the Leigh Kit.

Do I need some special bushings for the D4 or will standard PC-type
bushings work? I have some PC-style bushings and the adapter for the
Bosch. I'll have to unstick the manual pages to read through it and check
that out unless some of you have some quicker answers.

Getting the router bushing concentric is VERY important to perfectly
fitting/repeatable joints.
Don't skimp on these and test them.

Dave

Charley

Leigh has their manuals in pdf form online. Go to www.leighjigs.com and then
go to technical help. If you call or e-mail them and explain your situation
I'm sure they will sell you what you need. They've been very helpful
whenever I needed them.

--
Charley

"PCProffitt" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

George Max

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 15:28:28 GMT, PCProffitt
wrote:

[...]

$41 may not look like such a deal after buying the accessory pieces
separately that otherwise come with the D4.

From memory, I recall that the D4 comes with a bar to enable making
sliding dovetails, a screwdriver with a square drive point some bits
and possibly some other minor items. Plus a nice sprial bound manual.

Collets and bushings are separate. I use whatever bushings the router
I choose to use needs. I also use 8mm bits and have an 8mm collet for
my Bosch router. I also have an adaptor.
Leon

"PCProffitt" wrote in message
ink.net...
There was unfortunately a fire - somewhere. As a result an insurance
company sold a large block of water-damaged woodworking tools at salvage
prices (BTW everything's sold already). I was in the right place at the
right time and was able to acquire a Leigh D4 jig and the manual (a little
waterlogged though) for $41.00.

The down side is that any bits, collets or bushings there might have been
were separated so I don't have those. Also any adjustment tools or addons
are missing as well.

Well you do not need all the bits unless you doing a W I D E cariety of
joints in a W I D E variety of board thicknesses. FIr the standard DT's
regular guide bushings work just fine. If you have the F1 gig also you will
need the Leigh tapered bushings.

My questions:

Other wreck discussions mention that some vendors sell 'kits' of bits for
the D4. What's my best option to get a useful, if minimal, set of bits,
bushings and collets? Any specific manufacturer or size bits you would
recommend?

The 'Kits" IIRC update the older Leigh DT jigs to have the same convenience
as the later model.

I will be using a Bosch 1619 plunge router probably. I have both half and
quarter inch collets, but sounds like I should get an 8mm sleeve and use
8mm bits. True?

Yes the 8mm are much stronger than the 1/4".

Do I need some special bushings for the D4 or will standard PC-type
bushings work? I have some PC-style bushings and the adapter for the
Bosch.

Yes If you have the correct diameter.bushing and are using them only for
DT'S.

I'll have to unstick the manual pages to read through it and
check that out unless some of you have some quicker answers.

As Charlie mentioned look at the Leigh site to down load the manual. Or buy
the manual. It is a very well written book with hundreds of illustrations.
The manual will tell exactly which bits to use for different thicknesses of
wood.
IIRC if you can use a standard DT bit if you are making Blind DT's but you
have to use the correct angle bits for through DT's.

Leon

"George Max" wrote in message

$41 may not look like such a deal after buying the accessory pieces
separately that otherwise come with the D4.

Actually $41 is pretty cheap compared to almost $400 in my book.

From memory, I recall that the D4 comes with a bar to enable making
sliding dovetails, a screwdriver with a square drive point some bits
and possibly some other minor items. Plus a nice sprial bound manual.

The D4 also comes with the capability of making blind and through dove
tails.

Collets and bushings are separate.

$25 to $30.

I use whatever bushings the router
I choose to use needs. I also use 8mm bits and have an 8mm collet for
my Bosch router. I also have an adaptor.

Wes Stewart

wrote:

There was unfortunately a fire - somewhere. As a result an insurance
company sold a large block of water-damaged woodworking tools at salvage
prices (BTW everything's sold already). I was in the right place at the
right time and was able to acquire a Leigh D4 jig and the manual (a
little waterlogged though) for $41.00.

You suck.

The down side is that any bits, collets or bushings there might have
been were separated so I don't have those. Also any adjustment tools or
addons are missing as well.

My questions:

Other wreck discussions mention that some vendors sell 'kits' of bits
for the D4. What's my best option to get a useful, if minimal, set of
bits, bushings and collets? Any specific manufacturer or size bits you
would recommend?

Whiteside from Routerbits.com is my choice. Size depends on the
thickness of the material, etc.

I will be using a Bosch 1619 plunge router probably. I have both half
and quarter inch collets, but sounds like I should get an 8mm sleeve and
use 8mm bits. True?

So some say. I'm using the 1/4" in my DW 625.

Do I need some special bushings for the D4 or will standard PC-type
bushings work? I have some PC-style bushings and the adapter for the
Bosch. I'll have to unstick the manual pages to read through it and
check that out unless some of you have some quicker answers.

They will work.

When I bought my D4 it came with a video that is a very good adjunct
to the excellent manual.

Remove the *'s from my email address.

Wes
Nick Bozovich

Let me start off with a obligatory "You Suck".

MCLS Woodworking has bits that they advertise are for the Leigh Jig. I
believe I've also seen collet reducers in their catalogue or on line. Just
a disclaimer - I've never used any of these bits for the Leigh Jig that they
advertise, so I have no idea if they work or not. I have bought other bits,
and tools from them, and found the quality to generally be very good, and
the price to be way less than other stores/manufacturers (they are somehow
associated with Penn State Industries). Their shipping/delivery is usually
very reliable - probably not as good as Lee Valley, but close.

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...m_Leigh_anchor

$41 for a D4....Man, you DO SUCK!!

Nick B

[...]

william kossack

Call Leigh 1(800)663-8932

Tell them what you have and you can get the necessary parts from them.
The last time I called them I had the parts in 3 days to Denver. For
any major parts like templates buy from one of the suppliers listed on
the web page and you'll save money but Leigh is the best place to get
odd replacement parts.

The collet depends on the router. You can buy from leigh but you don't
need to.

Router bits depend on what your doing. The manual gives the details. I
have bits from both leigh and generic from woodcraft.

PCProffitt wrote:
[...]

George Max

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 17:49:57 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"George Max" wrote in message
.. .

$41 may not look like such a deal after buying the accessory pieces
separately that otherwise come with the D4.

Actually $41 is pretty cheap compared to almost $400 in my book.

Yes, $41 is cheap compared to $400. On that we both agree. The
problem comes when you must buy all the little bits that otherwise
come with a full D4 "kit."

My point is that that big savings *may* be seriously reduced by having
to buy those parts separately. Parts and accessories usually cost
significantly more when bought individually rather than part of a set.

BTW, even if the savings turns out to be less than it initially
appears, a buyer of a D4 just can't go wrong. This is truly a
marvelous jig.

Leon

"George Max" wrote in message

Yes, $41 is cheap compared to $400. On that we both agree. The
problem comes when you must buy all the little bits that otherwise
come with a full D4 "kit."

My point is that that big savings *may* be seriously reduced by having
to buy those parts separately. Parts and accessories usually cost
significantly more when bought individually rather than part of a set.

I have had the D4 for 6 plus years. The D4 that I bought brand new in the
box required the single straight bit and single DT bit to make through and
blind DT's in 3/4" and smaller material.
There are optional bit sets for use on thicker wood and for having DT's
that allow different spacing however they are not necessary for normal
joints in 3/4" stock. I buy the extra bits for special situations as I need
them but probably have not spent more than $100 for all the bits that I use
on the D4 and the F1 jig.

BTW, even if the savings turns out to be less than it initially
appears, a buyer of a D4 just can't go wrong. This is truly a
marvelous jig.

Agreed, and especially if you also have any of the extra templates like the
F1.