Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hardware Help (Hinges)

I built a prototype folding table which holds its weight on four
hinges where the pins of the hinges sit parallel with the ground.
Forseeing problems, I used some heavy gauge hinges but I was unable to
find anything that was actually designed to take weight against the
pin. (Piano hinges are, but I unfortunaltely only have 2 1/4"
width per hing to work with, and at that short a distance, the piano
hinge is woefully inadiqaute for strength). The table worked great
for a while until I decided to do a stress test by sitting on it. At
that point, the hinge bent between the pin and the screws used to
secure it.

So, what I need is a hinge that can withstand around 50lbs of pressure
perpendicular to the pin (plus about the same parallel to the hinge).
I looked through various stores, and can't find anything that matches
that description. Does anyone know of anything like this? I would
have thought such things would exist for heavy lids.

If not, I can build my own, but I'd like to avoid that if at all
possible.

Thanks,

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"julvr" wrote in message
[...]

I have found that door hinges (like for the front door of your house)
will
take quite a bit of abuse - they have roughly 1/4 inch pins. You can
get
some fairly nice ones and they are rugged.

mikey

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 22, 2:24 am, (julvr) wrote:
[...]

Rule joints, such as in butler's tables, do something similar. If
you're relying on the hinge alone to carry the load and keep the top
planar, I'd think that an individual hinge would sag without the
assistance of a movable support of some sort.

need help with hardware name steve Woodworking 3 October 22nd 06 08:02 PM
hinges Tim Taylor Woodworking 1 June 27th 06 05:28 PM
Hinges and other hardware J UK diy 10 September 9th 05 08:10 PM
Hinges and other hardware J Woodworking 4 September 9th 05 05:19 PM
Hardware and oil. Andrew Tubbiolo Metalworking 5 March 30th 04 02:41 AM