Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Converted Another One - To the DOMINO

Took the parts of yet another bonsai table up to a friend's place to
show him a bit of what the DOMINO can do - with a common M&T
application. Had done a prototype of the two joints for a demon
-stration I was supposed to do last week (but my van lost all its
transmission fluid on the way and I left all the parts in the van
in order to make the meeting and do a less than ideal demo).
I had all the presets written on the prototype parts - bit diameter,
fence to center line distance setting, depth of cut and, for the
apron parts with two mortises, which end of the first mortise
was to be used for the second mortise.

Put the outriggers on the DOMINO - set them for 180 mm for
the stretchers and cut 6 mortises in each leg, then four
more in each end of the four aprons without having to change
anything but the fence to mortise centerline. Screwed up on
a couple of the apron mortises - referenced off the wrong side
of the previous mortise - but recut to semi-fix the problem.

Scribed the centerline of the width of a stretcher, put the
Narrow Parts accessory on the DOMINO, lined up with scribed
centerline on the part with the scribed mortise centerline on
the bottom of the DOMINO's "foot", slid the left and right
"fences?" in to the sides of the part and locked them in.
Two more mortises on each of the four stretchers and it
was done.

Had 24 mortises in the legs
16 mortises in the aprons
8 mortises for the stretchers
----
48 mortises total
time 20 minutes - and that's cause I was describing the process
for each of the three parts - legs, aprons, stretchers.

He had the legs, aprons and table top already to go, plus
a spare leg and some apron stock. Using a Tite-Mark, found
the centerline of one face of the legs, measure with a 4"
sliding square, set the fence using the metric scale rather
than the stepped "preset", set the fence to mortise center
line to 24mm, and all that was left was to change the bit to
8mm set the depth of cut to 20mm for the 8x40 mm tenons
and it was test cut time.

Discovered that the tenons would conflict with each other
in the leg. His solution was to shorten the loose tenons
on the disk sander. My solution was to change the depth
of cut to 12mm to avoid the conflicts and cut the mortises
in the apron 28mm deep to get the total 40mm the tenon
required. Since he was using english sycamore, 12mm in
the legs would be more than adequate.

He cut 16 mortises in the legs in under 10 minutes and that
was for a first time user. He particularly like the No Layout
Lines thing.

Changed the depth of cut to 28mm, set the "stepped preset"
to 25mm for the nearly 1" thick apron stock and he cut
the mortises in the apron, 2 per end per part - for a total
of 16 more mortises - again in about 10 minutes.

Dry fitting the parts, we discovered that one of the 32
mortises was off. Best guess is that while the bottom
of the fence was held tight to the top of the part, he'd
probably rocked the handle horizontally when he made
the "off" mortise. Recut it and he was all done.

Thirty two mortises cut, tenons inserted and dry fit
- in under a half an hour.

His comment:
NOW I understand what this thing can do. I'm going
to get one of these things.

My unstated response - You have only an inkling of
what this thing can do.

NEXT!

charlie b

16 mortises in the legs later it was set up time

+----+---------
| ==
| |
| ==
| +------------
| |
| |

| |
| +--------
| ==
| +---------
| |
| |
+---+
Posted to rec.woodworking

Charlie,

Sound wondrous. What's required to do angled cuts for legs that are splayed
or angled down to a center foot? That's equipment wise.

Jim
"charlieb" wrote in message
> [...]

to 25mm for the nearly 1" thick apron stock and he cut
the mortises in the apron, 2 per end per part - for a total
of 16 more mortises - again in about 10 minutes.

Dry fitting the parts, we discovered that one of the 32
mortises was off. Best guess is that while the bottom
of the fence was held tight to the top of the part, he'd
probably rocked the handle horizontally when he made
the "off" mortise. Recut it and he was all done.

Thirty two mortises cut, tenons inserted and dry fit
- in under a half an hour.

His comment:
NOW I understand what this thing can do. I'm going
to get one of these things.

My unstated response - You have only an inkling of
what this thing can do.

NEXT!

charlie b

16 mortises in the legs later it was set up time

| |
| ==
| +------------
| |
| |

| |
| +--------
| ==
| +---------
| |
| |
+---+

Posted to rec.woodworking

Woodhead wrote:

Charlie,

Sound wondrous. What's required to do angled cuts for legs that are splayed
or angled down to a center foot? That's equipment wise.

Jim

Not enough information. Are you talking about a table or a chair?

If a table:
Apron AND stretchers or just apron
Will the apron have the same cross section as the leg
or be narrower in one dimension and wider in another
ie 1 1/2 x1 1/2 leg, 3/4 x 3 apron

If chair:
Solid seat or seat frame and webbing/padding"
Chair back integral with the rear legs or separate?
Splayed to the front and to the rear, out to the sides only or both?
Gonna want stretchers and if so - three or four?

For chairs for example - do you mean
(A) (B) (C)
| |
\ /
--+------++-- +-------+ +-------+
| | | | |
| |
--+------++-- +-------+ +-------+
| |
/ \

+ +------+
| | |
/ | |
+------+ +------+
/ \ / \
/ \ / \

where "A" angles the legs foreward and rearward but not sideways
"B" angles the legs sideways but not foreward or rearward
"C" angles the legs sideways AND foreward and rearward

More info please - preferably a drawing of top, front and side view.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

charlieb wrote:

FWIW Your information and web pages have decided me to get one. It will
be on the way as soon as the Handrail fence attachment comes into stock,
probably this week. I am also getting a few sipo tenons as they may
provide some interesting contrasts.

SWIMBO has been less than impressed but I hope to reverse that when I
can show that it does not take so much time to make things.

Our bed is the first project. regrettably I will have no idea what wood
species I will be using as the suppliers stack them all together and I
have to go by weight and colour. I can't ask and SWIMBO would not know
how to translate the answers even if the wood yard knows what species
they have.

The consultation is that if I am a little careful I get very very nice
pieces and can select the best, most if not all is tropical hard wood
and some is really dense and a pleasure to work with.

a down side is I find it difficult to pick low quality for things. like
jigs, that don't need mahogany like wood, and stuff like pine is quite
expensive.
--
replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jerome Meekings" wrote in message

SWIMBO has been less than impressed...

Is that:

"She Who Instantly Must Be Obeyed"

or

"She Who Infrequently Must Be Obeyed"

?

Makes a big difference for your Domino future, doncha know.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

SWIMBO has been less than impressed...

Is that:

"She Who Instantly Must Be Obeyed"

She thinks this is the case ;-)

or

"She Who Infrequently Must Be Obeyed"

I am working towards this one :-0

?

Makes a big difference for your Domino future, doncha know.

Don't I just.

We will be building in the future when my savings from work here in the
land of the rising ¥en (falling ¥en?) are enough and I am trying to get
a $30,000 budjet approved for outfitting my workshop (8Mx 15M) "yes dear
it is for parking our car in" ;-).

So I am hoping the speed and quality of the Domino will persuade her
that it will be worth waiting a bit longer before we start building.

I can't use the "We will save on building costs" though as due to white
ant etc. we will use concrete and with wages at between $8 an $11 per
day for skilled labour that is not a good excuse either.

--
replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me