Posted to uk.d-i-y
LongYP

Default Converted Garage as Office - it's very cold in here

ok..one of the reasons I moved to my current address was the double garage
which had been converted - this has become my office.

Summer - great - Winter - I am freezing my proverbials off.

I have insulated the loft area - but - the real problem (I believe) was the
conversion was never done properly in the first place.

OK it looks nice but the walling (stud walling??) attached to the garage
brick work is just that - i do not think there is any inuslation between the
wall and the brick work - hence the massive loss of heat.

Is it a massive job to pull the wall (stud?) of the brick work - rebaton -
stuff with insulation material and the put the wall back again - amateur at
work mind you.

OR..

any other suggestions to keep the heat in this garage conversion???? (I'm
sitting here with a woolly hat on and several layers..great my office)

Thanks for any suggestions

Posted to uk.d-i-y
htmark98

Is there any heating in the space?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

LongYP wrote:

Well apparently 8 minutes ago it was "bloody freezing", so at least it
sounds like things are warming up a bit now.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"LongYP" wrote in message
ok..one of the reasons I moved to my current address was the double garage
which had been converted - this has become my office.

Summer - great - Winter - I am freezing my proverbials off.

I have insulated the loft area - but - the real problem (I believe) was
the
conversion was never done properly in the first place.

OK it looks nice but the walling (stud walling??) attached to the garage
brick work is just that - i do not think there is any inuslation between
the
wall and the brick work - hence the massive loss of heat.

Is it a massive job to pull the wall (stud?) of the brick work - rebaton -
stuff with insulation material and the put the wall back again - amateur
at
work mind you.

Can you gain access from the loft area to the stud gaps? Then you could
pour down vermiculite or slide in high performing foam insulation like
Kingspan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian C

LongYP wrote:
ok..one of the reasons I moved to my current address was the double garage
which had been converted - this has become my office.

Summer - great - Winter - I am freezing my proverbials off.

Draughts? What's covering the garage doors? Hope you haven't got a
through path for gales...

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"LongYP" wrote in message
ok..one of the reasons I moved to my current address was the double garage
which had been converted - this has become my office.

Summer - great - Winter - I am freezing my proverbials off.

I have insulated the loft area - but - the real problem (I believe) was
the
conversion was never done properly in the first place.

OK it looks nice but the walling (stud walling??) attached to the garage
brick work is just that - i do not think there is any inuslation between
the
wall and the brick work - hence the massive loss of heat.

Is it a massive job to pull the wall (stud?) of the brick work - rebaton -
stuff with insulation material and the put the wall back again - amateur
at
work mind you.

No need to remove woodwork, just remove PB. Fit rockwool or similar and
replace PB. Either tape the joints and paint, or if you want it nicely
finished get it skimmed by a plasterer.

May be worth doing the floor too, apply a layer of insulation then wood
over it.

Can you gain access from the loft area to the stud gaps? Then you could
pour down vermiculite or slide in high performing foam insulation like
Kingspan.

If there is any access, a fill with polystyrene balls is always an
option. You wont get rigid sheet insulation in there of course.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
LongYP

Not sure what happened to this original message where I was bloody
freezing..NG said it was no longer available so I reposted and change the
word bloody.
"Lobster" wrote in message
LongYP wrote:

Well apparently 8 minutes ago it was "bloody freezing", so at least it
sounds like things are warming up a bit now.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
LongYP

Thanks for the replies.

Adrian C - Garage Doors are good - been bricked up and window and door put
in.

Doctor Drivel - I will check the loft space and see if I can gain access to
the gaps - like the sound of this idea.